OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Most portable realistic decoys

Started by supremepredator, April 14, 2016, 01:41:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

supremepredator

I plan on buying a new hen decoy and maybe a jake to replace my old decoys when season closes and prices go down. I do a lot of walking and hunt in the mountains so hard, plastic decoys are not an option. I've looked at avian x, dsd, Cherokee, flambue, hunters speciality, even the new a way decoy skins. I'm leaning towards the avians, but flambue looks good too. Money is not really a problem, although I don't want to spend more than I have to. Portability and realism outwiegh the price.
"Save the habitat,save the hunt"

codym

mote1977

Montana miss purr-fect and jake purr-fect are what I use when I'm hiking in a few miles. They're extremely light and portable , also very lifelike . They ain't no DSD but they get the job done. I generally don't use decoys but like to have them in my vest just in case.

Double B

Cherokees work  I don't use them much but they have been effective and they are cheap and lightweight. 
Followed by buzzards

Marc

For realism, DSD beats out Avian (especially on the hens in my opinion).  Durability, I do not think anyone comes close to DSD.

Personally, I went with an Avian jake, and a DSD leading hen.  The Avian jake looks really good, is a bit lighter and less bulky than the DSD jake, and actually has better motion than the DSD with a light breeze (although would probably move excessively in a brisk wind).

The Avian decoys are inflatable, but you do NOT want to inflate them in the field while setting up.  They take some air, some effort, and some time to inflate.  Mine stays inflated for the season, and then I just pull the valve at the end of the season (to relieve pressure on that valve when not in use).

The Cherokee decoys are light and easy to inflate (although I would not want to do so every hunt).  My buddy has lost the heads on several, and they are prone to popping.  They look OK to me, but also have an unnatural shine to them (in my opinion).

If you use inflatable decoys, and are going up in altitude to hunt, do not inflate the decoys all the way, as they will inflate some as you go up in altitude.

Actually, were I to do it again, I would make the same choice as I have...  DSD leading hen, and Avian jake.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

supremepredator

Quote from: mote1977 on April 14, 2016, 02:12:14 PM
Montana miss purr-fect and jake purr-fect are what I use when I'm hiking in a few miles. They're extremely light and portable , also very lifelike . They ain't no DSD but they get the job done. I generally don't use decoys but like to have them in my vest just in case.
arnt they only 2 dimensional?

mote1977

Quote from: supremepredator on April 14, 2016, 05:03:02 PM
Nope, the purr-fect series are 3D , fabric covered. They collapse down to almost nothing.
https://www.montanadecoy.com/hunting-decoys/turkey/miss-purr-fect-3d-hen-decoy

supremepredator

Quote from: Marc on April 14, 2016, 04:50:20 PM
For realism, DSD beats out Avian (especially on the hens in my opinion).  Durability, I do not think anyone comes close to DSD.

Personally, I went with an Avian jake, and a DSD leading hen.  The Avian jake looks really good, is a bit lighter and less bulky than the DSD jake, and actually has better motion than the DSD with a light breeze (although would probably move excessively in a brisk wind).

The Avian decoys are inflatable, but you do NOT want to inflate them in the field while setting up.  They take some air, some effort, and some time to inflate.  Mine stays inflated for the season, and then I just pull the valve at the end of the season (to relieve pressure on that valve when not in use).

The Cherokee decoys are light and easy to inflate (although I would not want to do so every hunt).  My buddy has lost the heads on several, and they are prone to popping.  They look OK to me, but also have an unnatural shine to them (in my opinion).

If you use inflatable decoys, and are going up in altitude to hunt, do not inflate the decoys all the way, as they will inflate some as you go up in altitude.

Actually, were I to do it again, I would make the same choice as I have...  DSD leading hen, and Avian jake.
I had no idea avians were inflatable. This changes things a lot. I would rather have a rubber one like the funky chicken that you can smush down and pop it out to its original shape quickly. Also what happens when you accidentally shoot an avian decoy?

supremepredator

Quote from: mote1977 on April 14, 2016, 05:09:26 PM

Quote from: supremepredator on April 14, 2016, 05:03:02 PM
Nope, the purr-fect series are 3D , fabric covered. They collapse down to almost nothing.
https://www.montanadecoy.com/hunting-decoys/turkey/miss-purr-fect-3d-hen-decoy
wow! That's pretty sweet! How's the durability?

Chilly

Quote from: supremepredator on April 14, 2016, 05:18:19 PM
Quote from: Marc on April 14, 2016, 04:50:20 PM

I had no idea avians were inflatable. This changes things a lot. I would rather have a rubber one like the funky chicken that you can smush down and pop it out to its original shape quickly. Also what happens when you accidentally shoot an avian decoy?
They rattle a little bit and slowly leak air.  A syringe and liquid electrical tape make for a good band aid!  Found out the hard way...lol
Can't kill'em from the couch!!!!

codym

I don't hunt with decoys much and I hunt in really rugged high elevation mountains. I was really leaning toward the Avians but if they need to stay inflated that kind of ruins it for me as they will stay in my vest like 90% of the time. I had the Cherokees and they both ripped the first season so not really wanting to go that route again. The Montana's are interesting but look kind of "special" to me. What do you all think?

supremepredator

Quote from: codym on April 14, 2016, 06:16:24 PM
I don't hunt with decoys much and I hunt in really rugged high elevation mountains. I was really leaning toward the Avians but if they need to stay inflated that kind of ruins it for me as they will stay in my vest like 90% of the time. I had the Cherokees and they both ripped the first season so not really wanting to go that route again. The Montana's are interesting but look kind of "special" to me. What do you all think?
I'm sold on the Montana's. Just did a bunch of research and miss perfect is affordable, very portable and she looks really realistic. SHE'S PERFECT!

Happy

I use either an avian x hen or old feather flex hen with most of the paint flaked off of the head. We are way more picky than a turkey is. And yes I deflate the avian. It isnt a big deal to me. 

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

fallhnt

Montana has a strutter that looks good too.
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

jims

I have avian x and do a lot of hiking.  They are the most realistic for the size.  If I know I'm going to need them in a hurry I'll keep them inflated. I've never had a problem with air..watch where I'm shooting!   It takes around a minute/decoy to air up.   I have Cherokee and they shine and look pretty bad in comparison.