turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Using a fan

Started by C.Kimzey95, April 13, 2016, 08:25:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

C.Kimzey95

What are you guys opinions on using a fan in aide in killing a bird? I by no way mean reaping, I just mean like flashing one up on a field edge to try to get the attention of a hung up or hemmed up gobbler?

Farmboy27

Where I hunt it's a no way, no how I would even think of it. But I hunt public land and open access private land. Seems like a great way to get shot. But if you are on very limited access private land and you want to then I say go for it. As long as it's not a safety hazard and it's legal then have at it. I sure ain't gonna judge!

Happy

Personally it violates my rules of fair chase. This is just my reasoning but I think that there are certain things that trigger a bird to respond a very high percentage of the time and makes it easier to kill them. Calling doesn't have as high of a success rate as compared to fanning.  By my logic I have a call, a shotgun and a hen decoy occasionally.  If that isn't enough to kill him then maybe some self improvement on my end is necessary.  Some true old school guys won't use any decoy ever and my hat is off to them. This is just my personal viewpoint and if it's legal and you want to do it then that's your decision. I would suggest extreme caution though. Some people will shoot at just about anything.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Farmboy27

Quote from: Happy on April 13, 2016, 08:52:22 PM
Personally it violates my rules of fair chase. This is just my reasoning but I think that there are certain things that trigger a bird to respond a very high percentage of the time and makes it easier to kill them. Calling doesn't have as high of a success rate as compared to fanning.  By my logic I have a call, a shotgun and a hen decoy occasionally.  If that isn't enough to kill him then maybe some self improvement on my end is necessary.  Some true old school guys won't use any decoy ever and my hat is off to them. This is just my personal viewpoint and if it's legal and you want to do it then that's your decision. I would suggest extreme caution though. Some people will shoot at just about anything.
Since you stated you sometimes use a decoy, I don't see how a fan can violate your rules of fair chase. A fan is nothing more than a decoy. Kinda like saying "I don't approve of mouth calls but box calls are ok". I also think that aggressive cutts will get a response much better than soft clucks later in the day, still fair chase to me!  Like I said, if it's legal and doesn't cause a dangerous situation, then who are we to judge?

Greg Massey

I think using a fan is up to the person who ask the question. Again it's not for us to judge .. for safety reasons I don't think it's something I would do...

surehuntsalot

may get bashed for it, but that is not turkey hunting, if you have to use a fan to so called hunt, you need to fine another sport
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

C.Kimzey95

You won't be bashed by me! Just something I've wondered about and wanted some other opinions. Had a gobbler this morning make me think about it. Henned up in a field with 4 hens and wanted nothing to do with my avian x jake n hen. Couldn't get the hens riled up and couldn't seem to coax him into a fight.... He looked awesome in that early morning sunshine though!

davisd9

People have no problem knocking a guy for using a fan yet they want to have a pattern of 300+ at 40 yards then say they like them close. You will also have those that knock it sitting in a blind with a flock of dsds surrounding them.

I have never fanned. I have considered doing it to see what all the fuss was but never actually have.

If we would worry about how we hunt and not so much the guy next to us then you will get to experience real turkey hunting!

Sent from the Strut Zone
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Spitten and drummen

Not gonna go back and forth and down nobody for the way they hunt but I agree with you happy. I hunt this way with the exception of decoys. I just don't like the Hassel of toting them around. I hunt woods 99 percent of the time and have adjusted to setting up for when the bird is in sight he is in range. I admit that I have close calls and do not see the bird alot of the time but my success ratio actually went up. I have used decoys several years ago , but the last 7 or 8 years I have not. I choose to hunt this way because I enjoy the challenge. It's me ,my calls , my gun and the bird one on one. If I don't kill him I'm not upset. When I lose I go home and I'm over it ready for the next hunt. However when he loses , it's higher stakes. Again hunt the way you want as long as it's legal. I don't agree with alot of the fanning and reaping that goes on but in the end if you do it and you are happy , that's your business. You hunt your way and I will hunt mine.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: Farmboy27 on April 13, 2016, 09:02:45 PM
Since you stated you sometimes use a decoy, I don't see how a fan can violate your rules of fair chase. A fan is nothing more than a decoy. Kinda like saying "I don't approve of mouth calls but box calls are ok". I also think that aggressive cutts will get a response much better than soft clucks later in the day, still fair chase to me!  Like I said, if it's legal and doesn't cause a dangerous situation, then who are we to judge?
Exactly what I was thinking!!! :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:
Fan, strutting deke, jake deke, hen deke, what's the difference? They are all visual aids to help the hunt.
Those who have been here long enough know my opinion. If it's legal, and it makes you happy, go for it!! People have way too many opinions on what is ethical to factor in ethics. If you don't care to do it, don't do it!! But don't criticize other hunters for employing a legal method for harvesting. Kumbaya!!!  ;) ;D

Happy

I guess I will explain myself a little further here since farmboy made a legitimate point. I believe that there are certain things that trigger a reaction more than others. A Tom is a very territorial bird in the breeding season and many toms can't help but come and let the intruder know who is boss. A hen decoy does not trigger that strong of a reaction. As a matter of fact I have had as many negative reactions as positive. I now typically only use them if i am caught in a position where the bird can see a long ways through the woods and I can't move to put the terrain to my favor. Or if I have a child with me and I want to have something out there to give them a point to train the gun on without to much movement and to hold the bird still for a few minutes.

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: Happy on April 13, 2016, 09:33:04 PMI believe that there are certain things that trigger a reaction more than others. A Tom is a very territorial bird in the breeding season and many toms can't help but come and let the intruder know who is boss. A hen decoy does not trigger that strong of a reaction.
I routinely use strutting dekes in the early season. I put them away come mid season. I've had great success with using the legal technique of strutting deke use. BUT, I've also had gobblers shy away from strutting dekes, and even jake dekes for that matter. It's not a magic bullet, and you risk blowing your hunt by using them.
My opinion is that everyone does not have the same opportunities when it comes to time, money, and access to land. I fault no one for employing legal techniques.

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: gobblegobblegobble on April 13, 2016, 09:36:04 PM
This is hard to follow.
Fan in your hand, holding it... unfair, unethical, too easy.
Fan on a stick 10 yards in front of you... fair chase, considered a decoy, no problem.
I'm in PA, so I can't fan here anyways. Just not following the logic.
:icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

Happy

I only use a hen decoy. Have never used a strutter a or fan. It's where my personal line is and it may not be everyone's elses. That's fine also. Not judging anyone just expressing my personal viewpoint.

RutnNStrutn

I totally respect that "personal line". That's how it should be. Methods beyond your personal line may be legal, but they ain't your style. More power to you!! Best of luck this spring!! :icon_thumright: