turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

How early?

Started by Flredbones, April 10, 2016, 06:06:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flredbones

If you're hunting a small private piece of property that really only has one spot to sit, no moving if you hear a bird off in the distance, how early before sunrise do you go in?  Personally I really don't see the need of getting there any earlier than 45 min before the sun comes up. I'm only walking about 30 yards from the truck and not competing with anybody for the spot. So might as well take advantage of the sleep in time right?

Dr Juice

That's plenty of time but I would be concerned being too close to the truck. Birds will not come in if they see a vehicle. My $.02.

eddie234

I think that's plenty of time. Is probably say 30 minutes would be good also.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

Flredbones

Quote from: mlisandro on April 10, 2016, 06:17:13 AM
That's plenty of time but I would be concerned being too close to the truck. Birds will not come in if they see a vehicle. My $.02.

On any other property I would too. But this is kind of an "urban" spot with a 2 acre field used for vehicle storage that backs up to a Conservation area. I used to park a lot further away until I walked back to my truck and had a gobbler full strut looking at his reflection in the side of my truck.

jmart241

Truck wont bother them had them strutting by my truck several times

Happy

I still wouldn't chance it myself. It may not matter but I wouldn't feel good about driving in and parking that close. I think I would go in extra early and park as far from them as I could, walk in and set up giving them plenty of time to settle down before sunrise. It may not matter but I tend to be pretty cautious on these matters. Your best chance is your first chance.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

owlhoot

Quote from: jmart241 on April 10, 2016, 08:13:29 AM
Truck wont bother them had them strutting by my truck several times
X2  Always get a kick seeing that. Way back in the woods is the hunter while the gobbler is hanging around the parking spot as i drive by.  Dang bet they do it to me too!
Over in Kansas on public land there was one time a gobbler spent a good 15 minutes gobbling and strutting in the parking spot where mine and another truck was parked. We watched him through the binocs from about 500 yards across the field. He did finally come across the field to the creek , we were waiting. he tasted good.