turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Saw a white turkey today

Started by MouthCaller, April 09, 2016, 03:54:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MouthCaller

I feel like this is going to open a whole big can of worms but today I drove past a place I could hunt and out in the field I saw a turkey with either some white or silver in it. Now the question is if it's a gobbler I believe (where available) most anybody here would kill him as a prize or once in a lifetime trophy. BUT if a bearded hen do you kill said turkey in the spring? Keeping state laws in mind, let walk or flop?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

DirtNap647

if legal...flop I like unique mounts :z-guntootsmiley:

TauntoHawk

A silver phase bearded hen, I probably would let walk. Only because I don't think I'd bring myself to pay to mount a hen of any color and I wouldn't want to shoot a bird like that without mounting it. Silver gobbler would get it bad and go to the taxi

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

VaTuRkStOmPeR

I walk it.  Not in the business of killing miracles of nature. 

Bowguy

It's all about legality, and your personal views on it.

Greg Massey

You make the decision, it's your call..

SteelerFan

If you're asking about removing the color phase hen from the flock due to biological reasons, I don't think it's necessary. For me, from a "trophy" standpoint - I'd make sure I had a good camera with me if I hunted the area, and "mount" the picture (cheaper! lol)

wvmntnhick

Quote from: SteelerFan on April 09, 2016, 05:43:04 PM
If you're asking about removing the color phase hen from the flock due to biological reasons, I don't think it's necessary. For me, from a "trophy" standpoint - I'd make sure I had a good camera with me if I hunted the area, and "mount" the picture (cheaper! lol)

100% this. I'd shoot the thing if legal and eat it just the same. Unique is unique and if the state says it's okay, I'm pulling the trigger.

Happy

Never had an interest in shooting hens. It would walk.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

101st501

kyturkeyhunter4

Its your call, do what ever makes you happy.

renegade19

Dead bird in the fall.  Spring, I dunno.

fallhnt

If it's legal shoot if you want if you get a chance.
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Marc

I think those smokey toms are very cool looking...  I would guess if I saw a pure white bird in my area, that it was an escapee, and it would likely get a pass.

Hens just do not interest me as much though...  If I really wanted one for the wall, and the population was doing well, I might consider taking a bearded hen...  Shooting a white hen just to say I shot one...  Probably not.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Dr Juice

If it a silver bearded hen, say good night Gertrude BOOM!