OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Unethical or not?

Started by dadsahuntin, April 07, 2016, 01:24:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marc

Quote from: Bill Cooksey on April 07, 2016, 02:39:50 PM
Also, this points to a problem with putting a blind on public ground. It shouts "this is a great spot."
Great point...

Hunter's Specialties makes a cool little backpack blind (that was originally given to me for duck hunting).  It is a ground blind (with no top), but it is very light, and takes less than two minutes to set up (in soft soil).  It is vertically adjustable (can use it sitting on the ground or in a chair), and will make a great tool for me to use with the kids, and it does not soak up water too bad either...

It is call the Hunter's Specialties Backpack Blind:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA0P80TV4295&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleMKP-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleMKP-PC-_-pla-_-SG+-+Tree+Stands+%26+Blinds-_-9SIA0P80TV4295&gclid=Cj0KEQjwipi4BRD7t6zGl6m75IgBEiQAn7CfF5biEQ6jLWAZWoE0avLhrXKRirWSbc9o1vR-nO11jwoaAki_8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

We have a storm coming in on the only day I can hunt this week, and I plan on using it (with a camouflage umbrella)...  Tough to sit still and not move when you do not hear or see anything, and birds tend to sneak in on me quietly during the rain.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

snapper1982

So the guy beat you to public land and you sent him an email on ethics and wrote on his card something completely not true? Sir it is YOU that needs a lesson on ethics! Why would you lie about the guy! 

mote1977

I would've moved on when I saw another vehicle parked there. It might be different down there but here in PA on public land if there's another vehicle where I planned on parking I head to a different spot. I wouldn't want to screw up another guys hunt. Unfortunately , a lot of other hunters here don't feel the same way and will set up right on top of you.

Hooksfan

If I were the other guy, and had you walk in on me, and then send me an e-mail regarding ethics, and then I found out you wrote on my hunt card a lie that I had hunted out of your blind and turned it into the authorities......If I ever saw your vehicle in the woods again, you would be putting a new engine in it or buying some new tires.

dadsahuntin

Ok. I understand the backlash on my own personal ethics of sharing with him how I felt. At least I did not screw up both of our hunts and he got his bird. We have all been walked up on in the woods at some point and I kept our interaction under 1 minute at a whisper, not like some will do in the woods with 10 minute convos.  I was there for the hunt as well.

As far as the parking. The spot to park can feed walkins in all directions. As stated the walk is over a mile in and woods everywhere to go different directions. Where I crossed creek I saw no sign of him crossing. What were the chances of going to same spot. There has been 4 cars before and never saw another hunter. So the odds I guess. I felt I did the right thing as I said He was the early bird and gave it up.

Thanks for the replies and I guess once in a while we all need an ethical wake up. Myself included.

I will send an apology email and hope I never walk out to 4 flat tires on my truck.
Sit and Wait?......Run and Gun?.....Box Call?....Slate Call?....Diaphram?.....Camo Pattern?.....Blind no Blind?....This gun that gun?....No 4,5,6?...Right answers gets you:Which one has the bigger beard?!!!!

dadsahuntin

Quote from: Hooksfan on April 07, 2016, 03:36:52 PM
If I were the other guy, and had you walk in on me, and then send me an e-mail regarding ethics, and then I found out you wrote on my hunt card a lie that I had hunted out of your blind and turned it into the authorities......If I ever saw your vehicle in the woods again, you would be putting a new engine in it or buying some new tires.

Wow talk about ethics. Over an email? really?
Sit and Wait?......Run and Gun?.....Box Call?....Slate Call?....Diaphram?.....Camo Pattern?.....Blind no Blind?....This gun that gun?....No 4,5,6?...Right answers gets you:Which one has the bigger beard?!!!!

Hooksfan

Quote from: dadsahuntin on April 07, 2016, 03:41:41 PM
Quote from: Hooksfan on April 07, 2016, 03:36:52 PM

Wow talk about ethics. Over an email? really?

I believe you are having a basic failure to comprehend that YOU were in the wrong here and in need of the email on ethics.  The email would have just ticked me off and I would have thought if you had something to say to me you should have just said it to my face.  The note to the authorities based upon a lie about me is what would have generated the retaliation.  The actions you took is what I classify as chicken%$@# and anyone who would engage in that deserves no better, IMO.
You said you welcomed and could handle all opinions, so there ya have mine.

Rapscallion Vermilion

I missed the part about the note and e-mail.  You definitely owe the fellow an apology.  He sounded pretty gracious about the whole thing.  Maybe you can turn this into something positive.

ruination

Quote from: mote1977 on April 07, 2016, 03:15:07 PM
I would've moved on when I saw another vehicle parked there. It might be different down there but here in PA on public land if there's another vehicle where I planned on parking I head to a different spot. I wouldn't want to screw up another guys hunt. Unfortunately , a lot of other hunters here don't feel the same way and will set up right on top of you.

Man that's some really open land you got up there.
.410 Favors the Bold

M Sharpe

I'm not going to echo what everyone else has said, though I feel the same way. But, I would rather find him sitting 15 from my blind than 50 yards away and me not know he was there and not be able to see him. You might would have bigger problems on your hands had those gobblers come in between you and him!!! Turkey hunting is a dangerous sport, whether public or private. I'd hate to get shot in the head at fifty yards, even with those low-penetrating lead pellets!!
I'm not a Christian because I'm strong and have it all together. I'm a Christian because I'm weak and admit I need a Saviour!

dadsahuntin

Apology email sent. We are all human and no doubt emotional people. Thanks to all. I own up to my faults and failures. Actually I wrote. " Set up on other blind" not in. Not that it makes it any better but what I wrote was not a lie.

Hooksfan

Glad to know you did that.  You may have just gained a new turkey hunting partner if you can play it right.

GobbleNut

Quote from: dadsahuntin on April 07, 2016, 04:10:21 PM
Apology email sent. We are all human and no doubt emotional people. Thanks to all. I own up to my faults and failures. Actually I wrote. " Set up on other blind" not in. Not that it makes it any better but what I wrote was not a lie.

We all make mistakes,...and live and learn.  You seem like a decent guy and the fact that you are willing to look objectively at it now that you have received input,...and are making the attempt to set things right means a lot.  Stay with us here.  We generally all have our hearts in the right place and want to help each other out in a positive manner.

mote1977

Quote from: ruination on April 07, 2016, 03:58:45 PM
Quote from: mote1977 on April 07, 2016, 03:15:07 PM

Man that's some really open land you got up there.
Yep, lots of great public land hunting in PA. My favorite "spot" is 517,000 acres, lol. I only hunt during the week anymore and rarely see another hunter in the woods.

Gobble!

I would have sent you a email back telling you where to put your so called ethics and other BS. I would be pretty hot if I got into an area early just to have someone walk in at almost day light and tell me this is their spot because they left piled up some sticks. Glad you apologized.