OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Really? Ridiculous!

Started by deerbasshunter3, April 06, 2016, 12:14:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteelerFan

I'll just say, Id rather NOT kill a bird without this "decoy", than kill one with it.

Greg Massey

I like the deer blind next to the tree in one of the videos better than the decoy..

NYlogbeards

Quote from: Marc on April 06, 2016, 05:04:38 PM
Quote from: NYlogbeards on April 06, 2016, 03:40:38 PM
I 100% agree but isn't that the point of buying Turkey tags? To kill a turkey if not I would just be a photographer, I understand the point of enjoying the woods and experience but some people don't have time or taking along their kid and might want this device to increase their odds in killing a Turkey and great way to keep a kid calm too by letting them control it, anyways isn't my preferred way to hunt but I don't judge.

I respectfully disagree...

As ethical sportsmen, we are (or should be) stewards of the sport.  Make sure than hunting remains ethical, and that we correctly utilize the resource.  Part of that involves education future generations of proper ethics and morals when taking them into the field with us.

When my father and grandfather took me hunting, they took great care to encourage and teach ethics;  not only with hunting, but life in general.  It was always taught to me that there is more to hunting than killing something, and that the challenge and fun of hunting is far more satisfying when utilizing proper ethics.

I take both my daughters fishing (3 and 5 years old), and I take my oldest daughter hunting with me.  I take them on trips in which I know there will be some action, and when I know that I can entertain them in other ways.  I would hope that most people enveloped in the hunting community would not take our child out simply to kill something irregardless of the means used (legal or not).

When we take our kids hunting with the bottom line of killing something, I do not think we do them or the future generations of hunting any good at all...  NOT at all.

Totally agree and there's not one thing I disagreed with about your statement, I love traditional style of hunting and the reward is worth the challenge and I don't condone any unethical actions and i try to teach hunters right from wrong when I see something unethical, but some people will do what they do and ain't much that will change that.

Cutt

Decoys today are getting out of hand, what will be next? Mounting your shotgun to the remote unit riding up to a Tom and triggering a shot with your cell phone? Any decoy utilizing electronics should be banned in my opinion.

NYlogbeards

Quote from: Cutt on April 06, 2016, 06:52:09 PM
Decoys today are getting out of hand, what will be next? Mounting your shotgun to the remote unit riding up to a Tom and triggering a shot with your cell phone? Any decoy utilizing electronics should be banned in my opinion.

Think the military already came up with that. I seen on the Outdoor channel disabled vet hunter used a gun that is hooked up to a computer, pretty neat idea for a wounded vet but really feel for him though not being able to expierence shouldering the gun and taking the animal your self... Glad there are people giving our vets these opportunities.

Happy

I don't like the way things have been heading for several years now. In my opinion the kill has taken priority over the hunt. Personally the struggle is what makes the success sweet. Anyone can kill a turkey. There are a lot of people who have done that and never actually hunted. I would challenge people to think about this. If you knew that you would bust your rear end all season long and never kill a bird would you still do it?
As hunters we owe it to quarry to give it a fair chance. Do do otherwise would be a huge dishonor. Unfortunately almost everyone today looks for the easiest way to get what they want and to heck with the details. This is saddening but I fear it is only going to get worse. We should be modeling ourselves as hunters and caretakers not bloodthirsty teenagers who just want to kill something. We are in the public eye, like it or not and I would hope what we are all chasing isn't just a bloody carcass and bragging rights to make us feel manly. What a person believes is their right. Just something to think about.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Cutt

Quote from: NYlogbeards on April 06, 2016, 07:23:14 PM
Think the military already came up with that. I seen on the Outdoor channel disabled vet hunter used a gun that is hooked up to a computer, pretty neat idea for a wounded vet but really feel for him though not being able to expierence shouldering the gun and taking the animal your self... Glad there are people giving our vets these opportunities.

I can understand that, but I was basically thinking of hunters who are more than capable of hunting.

M Sharpe

They market this stuff because they know turkey hunters as a general rule will do anything to kill a turkey!!! It is not about the hunt anymore, it is about the kill!! Most think if they don't kill their limit, then they haven't succeeded as a turkey hunter. In the past there have been several years I did not kill my limit, for one reason or another. What in the world ever happened to plain ol' turkey hunting?? Now I know the market hunters all but wiped the turkeys off the map, with their baiting and killing multiple birds with one shot; however, they weren't giving high-fives and strutting around in front of a video camera. These kind of gimmicks just cheapen the hunt!! We live in a world where everyone thinks they deserve a trophy!!!
I'm not a Christian because I'm strong and have it all together. I'm a Christian because I'm weak and admit I need a Saviour!

NYlogbeards

Quote from: Cutt on April 06, 2016, 07:38:15 PM
Quote from: NYlogbeards on April 06, 2016, 07:23:14 PM

I can understand that, but I was basically thinking of hunters who are more than capable of hunting.

I know, I was going off subject for a moment.

Marc

Quote from: Cutt on April 06, 2016, 06:52:09 PM
I could not agree more...  I would love to see the hard line drawn with electronics for all game bird hunting... 
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

deerbasshunter3

This is most definitely illegal in South Carolina. I put this up there with the fanning method.

I remember sitting against a tree the other day with a jake making his way to us (we never saw him but we could hear him getting closer) and thinking how exciting it was with just the anticipation of it. This "decoy" would take all of that fun out of it.

How desperate can a person be to feel like they need to not only use a remote controlled decoy to hunt, but to drop $300 on it in the first place. How many marriages will be on the rocks when desperate "hunters" start buying this thing?

deerbasshunter3

I couldn't help it, I wrote a review on the BPS website. As I mentioned in the review, I am starting to see why Cabela's is getting more and more of my business.

Cutt

Quote from: NYlogbeards on April 06, 2016, 09:17:46 PM
I know, I was going off subject for a moment.

Nothing wrong there, wasn't aware of that, good to know.

Cutt

Quote from: Marc on April 06, 2016, 10:31:42 PM
I could not agree more...  I would love to see the hard line drawn with electronics for all game bird hunting...

Yes, with todays technology if left open to anything, what will be next? Flying decoys aided with drones strapped to them?

OldSchool

Quote from: Happy on April 06, 2016, 07:28:58 PM
I don't like the way things have been heading for several years now. In my opinion the kill has taken priority over the hunt. Personally the struggle is what makes the success sweet. Anyone can kill a turkey. There are a lot of people who have done that and never actually hunted. I would challenge people to think about this. If you knew that you would bust your rear end all season long and never kill a bird would you still do it?
As hunters we owe it to quarry to give it a fair chance. Do do otherwise would be a huge dishonor. Unfortunately almost everyone today looks for the easiest way to get what they want and to heck with the details. This is saddening but I fear it is only going to get worse. We should be modeling ourselves as hunters and caretakers not bloodthirsty teenagers who just want to kill something. We are in the public eye, like it or not and I would hope what we are all chasing isn't just a bloody carcass and bragging rights to make us feel manly. What a person believes is their right. Just something to think about.

Very well said and I couldn't agree with you more. Thank you. :icon_thumright:

Bob
Call 'em close, It's the most fun you'll ever have doing the right thing.