Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Favorite Locator Call for Roosting Toms

Started by BDeal, March 31, 2016, 02:38:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BDeal

What is your favorite type (owl, crow, coyote) to get them to shock gobble from the roost? Make and model please.

Thank You!

Farmboy27

My favorite is when real live crows and owls do it for me!  I don't carry an owl hooter because I could never get very proficient with a reed style hooter and the "hoot flute" styles aren't load enough much of the time. (Strictly opinion, I know plenty of people that like them). I carry a crow call but usually only use it when I'm moving on a bird and trying to keep tabs on him. For roosting I usually just listen at a likely spot until I know the birds should be in the trees. If I don't hear any fly up then I do the unthinkable, I call with a turkey call!  I give some yelps and cutts and if there is a bird within earshot he'll typically respond.

Dr Juice

Owl (natural voice) and crow (Primos call)

SteelerFan

Owl hoot (hootin' stick) if / when I bother to try to roost one.

Bowguy

mnbirdbuster

Peacock, gobble tube, wood duck whistle, goose honk. All the odd stuff works for me anymore

GobbleNut

Tube call,...any kind,...to gobble on.  With a little practice, a guy can make a very loud gobble on a tube and I have found that it is usually very effective at eliciting a response,...when used at the right time. 

Captain Hooks

it really depend on what birds are vocal on the area.  If it's my stopping grounds I'm jut listening and letting natural birds call for me.  If I'm in unknown areas and I hear owls I'll wait for a owl to hoot and I'll call back with my voice.  If I hear crow I'll call back with my voice.  If that doesn't work I'll use a goose call if there are geese in the area

wvlimbhanger

It's a bit unorthodox and anyone that's ever hunted with me for the first time is always like what the heck are you doing, but a big ol loud WOOOOOOOOOO like the Nature Boy Ric Flair works for me.  Not something they hear very often either.

TURKEYWHACKER

Had a guy on a central Fl romp and stomp yesterday morning use one I never heard of being used. He got out of his truck about 30 minutes before shooting light and started walking down the dirt road. About 50 yards from his truck, he starts up what sounds like a WWII hand cranked air raid siren. Not sure if it worked for it's intended purpose, but it sure repelled us to another area. ;D

renegade19

The "Trapper"  but he owl hoots using his hands and mouth only.  He's my friend and hunting buddy and you can't borrow him!   ;D

renegade19

Oh yeah, my other buddy "Greasy" who doesn't turkey hunt had two long beards going nuts one day doing what he called a squatch call!  You might could take him along if your'e of a mind!

Happy

Can count on one hand how many times I have used a locater. Like to let them start on their own.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Va3toes

Got one to gobble on the roost this past Saturday with my Houndstooth owl hooter.

chestnut oak

Quote from: Happy on April 04, 2016, 09:58:51 PM
Can count on one hand how many times I have used a locater. Like to let them start on their own.

I'm with you.