turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Traveling turkeys!

Started by C.Kimzey95, March 29, 2016, 11:41:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

C.Kimzey95

Here is a question that I have wondered about lately and get different answers from different people. On my home farm of 70 acres we have a pretty decent flock of 40 or so birds that tend to use our place a very good deal through the spring, or at least they usually do. Last year there were hardly any birds here at all. 3 hens and one gobbler was all we saw all through our entire season. I have hunted for the past 7 seasons and there have always been birds down here, with the exception of last year. I've been seeing a good flock this spring with 3 nice gobblers around 10 jakes and 30 or so hens. I saw them all a week and a half ago. Since then I've seen one hen and have no trail camera pictures of them.. Now I know birds will travel but I guess the thought of not seeing the flock I've been watching all winter this spring has just got me a little worried about it. What kind of travel variations do you guys observe and have you all ever had a year where there just weren't any birds like I had last year. What are you guys opinions?

Strick9

Whats your coyote population like?
LowCountryWildlifeManagement
Knowing Wildlife beyond Science
Genesis 9;2

C.Kimzey95

In my opinion around this farm it's not that bad compared to other areas I hunt

kcrebel

I have watched for close to 15 years the turkey population on my farm increase from 6-8 birds to close to 100 or more in flocks.  I have them all over my farm during deer season and all summer.  My farm is near a large agricultural farming operation and as those guys begin to get fields ready to be planted first of April the turkeys almost follow the plows so to speak.  In 15 years I have never seen or captured any trail cam pics of a single turkey on my farm during turkey season.  They make it back to raise their poults in mid to late summer.  So frustrating.  I have tried everything to keep them there to no avail. 
Sure that isn't the response you were hoping for but is what I have lived through over the years... :angry9:

C.Kimzey95

All responses are appreciated! I feel as if I'm in a different situation though! I've harvested a bird or two off this farm in the past 7 years the only year I didn't kill any as stated was last year because they simply were not here. I'm not anywhere near any agricultural fields at all! We feed our cattle a mix of grain and the turkeys love what the cows give back! I'm not far from a major lake. The birds will use the lake land but after a little pressure is put on it they tend to steer clear.

silvestris

Your problem is likely caused by some change in either your's or your neighbor's habitat or bait.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

C.Kimzey95

Had thought the same thing about discovering a neighbor had some logging done. After not seeing any last year. But after seeing them all winter again this year and all up to a week and a half ago it made me think that might not have been it after all. Last year it was like they had literally all but they very few I mentioned, vanished into thin air.

hobbes

Just a theory:

In the winter they group up into the large winter flocks, they will stay close to a reliable food source........your cattle and the feed that you provide them.

Hens need nesting cover in the spring and will likely migrate to it, the tom's will follow.  Yes, they still need the food, but it is much more readily available from multiple sources in the spring.

With that said, I've got a place that I hunt in IL that typically has several toms hanging around.  On a few odd years the birds haven't been there, but usually it's just a portion of the season.

fallhnt

The hens look for good nesting habit for spring and the rest of the turkey year is more about food. Birds will move around to find what they like.
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

C.Kimzey95

So is my best option trying to figure out what has changed and try to readjust my habitat to what it was in the years prior when birds seemed to stick around a lot more?

silvestris

Quote from: C.Kimzey95 on March 30, 2016, 07:27:51 AM
So is my best option trying to figure out what has changed and try to readjust my habitat to what it was in the years prior when birds seemed to stick around a lot more?

Exactly.  You can't easily change neighboring property, but you can manage your property to make it more attractive.  I would concentrate on insect producing plantings as opposed to killing fields.  More poults = more opportunities.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

TauntoHawk

Do you know where they went?? Maybe if you find them on a near by property you can compare what they have that you dont.. I'm thinking spring cover (nesting) or better spring food sources. I know turkeys in the winter generally hang near cattle farms but prefer ag, creek bottoms, oak ridges near swamps.

Whats your farm like, pine, oak, brush, pasture, brush fields, mowed fields. They tend to like cover in the fall winter and more open places in the spring.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

C.Kimzey95

The thing that's stumping me is we haven't really done anything to change it. We have the same
Food plots we plant for deer(clover, winter wheat, and a little alfalfa). We haven't had any land logged or anything. I checked trail cameras this morning and had one picture of one hen and she happens to be out in our front pasture right now. She is just causally feeding along. The way this farm lays out it is one great big hollow with 4 or 5 other smaller hollows feeding into it. About 40 percent pasture/green fields. 60 percent hardwoods and big ridges with a creek that cuts the main hollow in half.. Very hilly country. Not many pines with a good mix of open timber and thicker cover. As for where they went. I can't seem to figure it out.

Bill Cooksey

My bet is on a neighbor planting a new food plot, AKA corn pile. Big changes in nearby habitat can cause a profound change in a flock, but I'm still betting on a neighbor baiting in a big way. Don't know about your relationship with the local warden, but I'd be calling him.

C.Kimzey95

It definitely would not surprise me if one of he guys who hunts one of the bordering farms was doing it. Had some trouble out of him in the past in deer season. Never knew of him turkey hunting but that could've always changed. But again with our cattle eating a mixture of grains and then releasing a lot of them back out there is no shortage of food here.