turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

First paint job. How does he look?

Started by deerbasshunter3, March 22, 2016, 12:38:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deerbasshunter3

This is my first time painting a decoy. How does he look? I used acrylic paint from Michaels.

trefalga

Looks great. Is the decoy collapsible? I found when the plastic bends then the factory paint is wearing off. Is the acrylic sticking?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

OldSchool

Call 'em close, It's the most fun you'll ever have doing the right thing.

Rex

Looks good!  Is that a sneaky pete decoy?
"'As surely as I live,' says the Lord,
'every knee will bow before me;
    every tongue will acknowledge God.'"         Romans 14:11

deerbasshunter3

Quote from: trefalga on March 22, 2016, 12:45:38 PM
Looks great. Is the decoy collapsible? I found when the plastic bends then the factory paint is wearing off. Is the acrylic sticking?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

It is the Pretty Boy Jr. decoy. I don't believe it is collapsible. The paint seems to be sticking pretty well. I am letting it sit in the sun for a while to "cure" it. I would like for it to be a little shinier, but not too worried about it. Hopefully a gobbler won't be either.

turkey harvester

Looks great. Need to try that with my jake mobile.
TURKEY NUT CUSTOM STRIKERS- Jeffrey Thompson-Owner.  Kathleen,GA
Hunt with your kids, not for them.

Hunt with your kids, not for them.

Dtrkyman

looks good, try flocking the back feathers, use a pic of a dave smith deke to copy!

beakbuster10

that looks awesome!! I would suggest getting a can semi gloss clear spray paint for the body and a can of flat clear for the head. I made the mistake of not doing so when using acrylic paint, and after a few days use, I had to repaint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

deerbasshunter3

Quote from: beakbuster10 on March 22, 2016, 08:05:08 PM
that looks awesome!! I would suggest getting a can semi gloss clear spray paint for the body and a can of flat clear for the head. I made the mistake of not doing so when using acrylic paint, and after a few days use, I had to repaint.

The body actually has some shine to it, you just can't see it in that photo. I was htinking the head does need it though.

Does the head need to be shiny, or is it usually kind of flat?

beakbuster10

I would definitely go flat on the head. The head and wings were what really looked like crap after being in the bag and field without clear coat. I think you would be golden with some flat on the wings, fan tip, and head.

Mike Honcho

I have same decoy and painted my head too...looks very similar to yours...he has worked great for me last two seasons.

I bought a can of metallic copper colored spray paint and "lightly dusted" the back and breast area of the decoy...the sun picks up on this and gives it the sheen of real feathers...just takes a bit.

deerbasshunter3

Quote from: Mike Honcho on March 23, 2016, 12:01:53 PM
I have same decoy and painted my head too...looks very similar to yours...he has worked great for me last two seasons.

I bought a can of metallic copper colored spray paint and "lightly dusted" the back and breast area of the decoy...the sun picks up on this and gives it the sheen of real feathers...just takes a bit.

I would have never thought to use metallic copper, but that makes sense. I assume you just lightly pass it by from about 6" away from the decoy?

stinkpickle

Quote from: Mike Honcho on March 23, 2016, 12:01:53 PM

LOL!  Same here.  I bought one on clearance a couple years and repainted it, too.  I like how the body is hollow, so I can stuff a collapsible hen deke inside of it to carry around.

Mike Honcho

I probably held copper paint can a foot away or more and moved it quickly....better to get too little on than too much.

You can always add a bit more...just looking for a little sheen on the feathers.

stinkpickle

I need to replace the beard on mine.  The glue popped off one day, and the beard disappeared.