OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Do"s and Dont's with a child's first hunt.

Started by Rex, March 22, 2016, 09:56:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bowguy

Quote from: Lefty on March 24, 2016, 10:20:51 AM
Some may frown upon this saying it takes away from the "experience" but I let my 10 year old bring her iPad on her first youth day deer hunt.  I told her we would stay until she got bored.  She made it the entire day minus a short 1 hour break for lunch.  She never once complained of being bored and I feel like having the iPad helped keep her entertained.  She was rewarded with a nice 8pt 30 minutes before sunset.
Don't think anyone's gonna frown on that. This is a dif generation n the entertainment thing falls in the keep it fun. You'll always remember the deer but the iPad will be forgotten

Bill Cooksey

Some may frown upon this saying it takes away from the "experience" but I let my 10 year old bring her iPad on her first youth day deer hunt.  I told her we would stay until she got bored.  She made it the entire day minus a short 1 hour break for lunch.  She never once complained of being bored and I feel like having the iPad helped keep her entertained.  She was rewarded with a nice 8pt 30 minutes before sunset.

Considering some of the best "old" turkey hunters I know carry a book with them to pass the time when they expect a long wait, I can think of a valid reason for a kid not to carry an iPad.

Rex

Quote from: Bill Cooksey on March 24, 2016, 05:22:07 PM

Considering some of the best "old" turkey hunters I know carry a book with them to pass the time when they expect a long wait, I can think of a valid reason for a kid not to carry an iPad.
Amen too that!

Sent from my SM-G530R4 using Tapatalk

"'As surely as I live,' says the Lord,
'every knee will bow before me;
    every tongue will acknowledge God.'"         Romans 14:11

g8rvet

Gobbler lounger or other real comfortable chair. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

albrubacker

Great Thread! Lots of good advice. I have 3 young girls 6,7, & 8. Thinking a chair would be a good investment.
The addiction will cost you time and money and alienate those close to you. I can give you the names of a dozen addicts — myself included — whose wives begin to get their hackles up a week before turkey season starts and stay mad until a week after it closes.

—Charlie Elliott

trkehunr93

I agree about the ipad.  It helped pass the quiet times for my son, I can't tell him not to bring his iphone because when there lull's I'm on mine as well.