OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Rain Gear Advice & Recommendations

Started by Ryguy83, March 21, 2016, 09:44:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryguy83

I am looking into getting some rain gear for hunting (mainly turkey season, but may use for bow deer season also), but I am not sure what to get.   I need some recommendations on gear?   What's good, what's not.   

Also, how do you use it turkey hunting?  Do you cover just yourself (like you normally would wearing a rain coat) or do do you put it over you and your vest?  Is it better to have something light weight to carry in/on your vest or do you get something a little more bulkier?

Any other advice or thoughts are appreciated.  Thanks and happy hunting this season. 

Gobspur

I've had several but currently have cabelas MT050 rain gear.  Their rain seude is almost identical, but cheaper.  No raingear last for more than  but a few seasons.  I typically carry in my vest game bag pocket if there's just a chance.  If it's thunderstorm or all day rain, I don't take a vest just some calls in pockets.  Another option is just carry a quality poncho in your vest.

wvlimbhanger

I'm a big fan of the cabelas rain suede with dry plus. I have the bibs and jacket, actually the 2nd set I've had.  Very good stuff and when the time comes I will replace them with the same stuff.

Cutt

I second the Rain Suede for the price, can't see paying for the MT050, when the Rain Suede is comparable. I've had mine for many years, and is finally needing replaced due to losing some it's water resistance, mainly at the seems. I'm not one to hunt in the rain a lot, so I got many years of use from mine.I think what kills any good rain gear is walking through heavy brush and like. Limit the use to just sitting and it will last a long time.

Marc

In the duck hunting world, Sitka kinda' owns the market as the best rain coat...

Same guy that started Sitka started his own company called Kuiu (primarily geared towards big game)...  The Yukon jacket is a bit less money than the similar Sitka, but guys that own both say that the Kuiu is a superior coat...  It will be my next waterfowl hunting coat, and hopefully last the rest of my life (it had better for the price).

http://www.kuiu.com/

I got to try one on this evening as a matter of fact, and it appears to be a well-made coat.

Frogg Toggs will keep you dry if you can keep them in one piece, but having the zippers break on two new coats this season has turned me off them.

Grundens and Helly Hanson are other far less expensive coats I hear good things about.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

TauntoHawk

I have a nice set of rain gear from Core 4 Element that i like a lot better than most of the cabelas stuff I've had. its lighter, has a better fit, and breaths much better. I do have the cabelas space rain gear and thats amazing for the "just in case" rain shower because it weights less than a pot call and rolls up the size of a water bottom so i can carry it on every hunt. If I know its gonna rain I wear the C4E because its quieter, more durable, and more breathable.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

reynolds243

I am a kuiu fan as well but for the money the Core4element is hard to beat. I have a set of their Torrent gear and it's very good and super light weight.  The middle grade and top end Kuiu is awesome though

Joshua 24:15
"But as for me and my household, we will serve the Lord."

Sent from my phone sucka

TRG3

Check out Frogg Toggs. They are very light weight and do a good job, especially the bib type since they keep the water out of your pants if your are sitting in the rain. Briars are very rough on them, however. Regardless of the color, I wear a leafy cutout set over them for better camo.

Happy

I have a rain jacket I wear if it's dumping it. Usually just grab some mouth calls and a couple waterproof pots and go. It's just water. Once your soaked it doesn't matter and I don't care.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

fallhnt

I use a rain coat that fits over my turkey vest
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

jims

I would make sure your rain jacket has pit zips.  That way you don't get wet from the inside out.  Most jackets without ventilation are a nightmare in wet, humid weather!  If you do much hiking you will likely sweat and end up wet!

If you want camo I would highly recommend Sitka or Kuiu raingear.  If you don't want to spend that much $ I would highly recommend Marmot Precip (their jackets have pitzips).  All gortex is not created equally!  I've used and abused my Sitka and Marmots and they have held up super well.  Do yourself a favor and look up Marmot precip on the Sierr@  Trading website.  If you add a 20 to 30% off coupon to their already great prices it is and incredible deal!  At $50 I've bought several jackets and pants.  The only drawback for MP is they don't come in camo.  I've bought them in green or brown colors which usually isn't that big of a deal (considering the cost savings for such incredible raingear!).

tomstopper

eddie234

Frog toggs, I have a fanny pack and some calls I use only in the rain.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

Dtrkyman

cabelas space rain, packable and ultra light

g8rvet

Frogg Toggs for me as well. Light weight, packable.  If it is cold, I just wear layers underneath. I bought is one size too large and I can even wear my vest under it.

For a less expensive than Sitka true waterproof jacket, Rivers West is very nice. It gets heavy and must be hung up to dry.  I will not use it if the Temp is out of the low 50s though. Too warm.  But you will stay dry.  I mostly use it for duck hunting.
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.