turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

stuck choke tube

Started by schief, March 18, 2016, 08:47:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

schief

I bought a new Rem. 870 Super Mag from Dicks about a month ago. It is the full camo, 21" barrel model. Few days ago I took barrel off to clean. Cleaned barrel and tried to take turkey choke tube out to put a little choke lube on it. It would not budge using a choke tube wrench that has a handle. Put some penetrating oil on it and let it sit for about a hour. Still wouldn't budge. Put some more oil on it and let it sit over night. That didn't work so I got a pair of vice grips and clamped down on choke. Finally got it out after several tries. Messed up choke. This is the super full none ported Rem choke. Bought one from a member on Gobbler. Anybody have this trouble with new gun?

cja

Just bought a camo super mag the factory choke came right out no problem

dantheman

rig, breechplug grease, or anti sieze is my go to before the first shot is fired in my guns. havent had an issue doing it that way.

wvmntnhick

Not sure what it'll do to the camo finish but if you soak it in kerosene I'm betting it'll break free. I've done it in the past but that was with blued barrels.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: schief on March 18, 2016, 08:47:39 AM
I bought a new Rem. 870 Super Mag from Dicks about a month ago. It is the full camo, 21" barrel model. Few days ago I took barrel off to clean. Cleaned barrel and tried to take turkey choke tube out to put a little choke lube on it. It would not budge using a choke tube wrench that has a handle. Put some penetrating oil on it and let it sit for about a hour. Still wouldn't budge. Put some more oil on it and let it sit over night. That didn't work so I got a pair of vice grips and clamped down on choke. Finally got it out after several tries. Messed up choke. This is the super full none ported Rem choke. Bought one from a member on Gobbler. Anybody have this trouble with new gun?
Many times guns are stored in warehouses that may not be climate controlled. That's the reason many guns have so much grease put in them when they leave the factory.

If that was the case with your 870, it could have gone through heating/cooling cycles and moisture could have accumulated in the counterbore area and caused some rust to form making the choke very difficult to extract.

You should examine the threads inside the muzzle and make sure they are clean and rust free. I would also contact Dick's to let them know what happened. I expect they'll want to make it right.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Philippe

I've had this happen a time or two, and I've had countless friends bring over shotguns with stuck tubes. The majority of them were extracted using a map torch to heat the choke and barrel. One had the be soaked overnight in kroil after plugging the barrel up. Otherwise like Clark said, it's usually surface rust from not cleaning and keeping the threads lubed with a bit of anti-seize.

schief

Quote from: dantheman on March 18, 2016, 09:54:07 AM
rig, breechplug grease, or anti sieze is my go to before the first shot is fired in my guns. havent had an issue doing it that way.

that was reason I was taking choke tube out to put some choke lube on it.

schief

Quote from: wvmntnhick on March 18, 2016, 10:10:11 AM
Not sure what it'll do to the camo finish but if you soak it in kerosene I'm betting it'll break free. I've done it in the past but that was with blued barrels.
I got it out with a pair vise grip.

decoykrvr

FYI- If you are using vice grips or any type of plier on a firearm pad the area w/ a thick piece of heavy rubber sheeting which will preclude marring or crushing raised machined surfaces or knurling. 

schief

Quote from: decoykrvr on March 18, 2016, 11:18:14 AM
FYI- If you are using vice grips or any type of plier on a firearm pad the area w/ a thick piece of heavy rubber sheeting which will preclude marring or crushing raised machined surfaces or knurling.
[/quot
the vice grips gouged the choke tube. I bought the same choke from a member of Old Gobbler for $17.

Clark,  I checked threads and they were good. Don't know why it wouldn't turn loose.