turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Eyeglass wearers question

Started by BowBendr, March 17, 2016, 04:29:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BowBendr

Lasik is not an option for me, I have to wear glasses. I don't have any issues with fogging or headnets. My problem is their fit. I bet that I have had my newest pair adjusted 3 times. They are great for everyday wear, but if you have worn glasses, you know that you develop that habit to push 'em up with your finger as 2nd habit.
Anybody use an athletic strap or band type device to keep your glasses up ?
Do they work or do they interfere with a headnet in any way ?

2015 Old Gobbler contest Champions

nativeks

Obvious question but what about soft contact lenses?

wvmntnhick

I just push them up. No problem. As for contact, used to wear them all the time. Stopped wearing them a while back, now it's just trouble for me. Eyes dry out and it kills me.

Marc

I am an eye doc...

Contact lenses are a reasonable option for most prescriptions, but if you need bifocals you will lose your close-up vision.

I find myself wearing sunglasses frequently when I hunt, and in a sports frame I rarely have to worry about the frames falling or sliding...  They look a bit dorky (and I would not wear them to a social even or work), but they function well and do not slip off...  My current frames have the ability to actually switch lenses (they are called Switch Frames by Liberty optics).  I do not care for transitions while hunting, because they generally darken up before the sun comes up (from ambient UV)...

Also, frames loosen up eventually, and I would recommend taking them back to your eye doc for an adjustment.  They might be able to bend the temple (side-piece) for a more snug fit, or even bend the ear-piece a bit more around your ear...

So in conclusion, take your frames back for readjustment, consider a sports frame of some sort, and consider strap such as Chums or Uvex (adjustable chord) to hold them in place.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

BowBendr

Quote from: Marc on March 17, 2016, 04:58:37 PM
I am an eye doc...

Contact lenses are a reasonable option for most prescriptions, but if you need bifocals you will lose your close-up vision.

I find myself wearing sunglasses frequently when I hunt, and in a sports frame I rarely have to worry about the frames falling or sliding...  They look a bit dorky (and I would not wear them to a social even or work), but they function well and do not slip off...  My current frames have the ability to actually switch lenses (they are called Switch Frames by Liberty optics).  I do not care for transitions while hunting, because they generally darken up before the sun comes up (from ambient UV)...

Also, frames loosen up eventually, and I would recommend taking them back to your eye doc for an adjustment.  They might be able to bend the temple (side-piece) for a more snug fit, or even bend the ear-piece a bit more around your ear...

So in conclusion, take your frames back for readjustment, consider a sports frame of some sort, and consider strap such as Chums or Uvex (adjustable chord) to hold them in place.

Said I was a bad candidate for both surgery or contacts due to steep angles behind cornea ? Where fluid comes in and out, worried about pressure from contacts ? I believe I understood correctly ??
Maybe my best option is to have them adjusted right before season and maybe they wont loosen too bad. I will look into the straps mentioned. Thank you Sir !

Rapscallion Vermilion

I'll be wearing prescription shooting glasses while turkey hunting this year, for the first time.  I've been using the same frames (Decot Hy-Wyd) for sporting clays for years.  The lenses are interchangeable. The ear pieces loop over the backs of your ears.  The glasses stay in place well and sit high on the face for proper alignment when shooting with the head tilted slightly forward. 

FL-Boss

Best thing I ever did was dump the glasses last year and make myself find a brand of contacts I could live with. I tried contacts a few times in the past, but they were always uncomfortable and like the poster, they would make my eyes dry. 
Anyway.. we ended up finding a brand of contacts I could live with. Also got some drops to help the dryness, carry them with me.  I don't really need to wear contacts during my day to day routine... glasses work fine when driving or running errands. But when hunting, fishing,etc, glasses are a huge pain....love having the contacts for that.

BowBendr

Quote from: Rapscallion Vermilion on March 17, 2016, 06:20:40 PM
I'll be wearing prescription shooting glasses while turkey hunting this year, for the first time.  I've been using the same frames (Decot Hy-Wyd) for sporting clays for years.  The lenses are interchangeable. The ear pieces loop over the backs of your ears.  The glasses stay in place well and sit high on the face for proper alignment when shooting with the head tilted slightly forward.

Thats what Id like to find, almost like the frames on the old Rayban aviators. The legs wrap around the ear and make the glasses sit high and tight.

WNCTracker

Not the same but similar. I ordered a pair of croakies from rei to wear mountain biking and they didn't  interfere with my helmet and with all the sweat and bumps they stayed put.  I switched over to a pair of $40 prescription safety glasses that came with a strap and they work great. Only reason I switched was the sweat was rusting my everyday glasses. Good luck!  Glasses be damned

Turkey Havoc

I have the fogging up problem, everything I have tried has not helped. So what do ya'll use to keep your glasses from fogging up?
Stephen H Spraberry

turkey harvester

Quote from: Turkey Havoc on March 18, 2016, 08:09:37 AM
I have the fogging up problem, everything I have tried has not helped. So what do ya'll use to keep your glasses from fogging up?

Same here. I've tried the anti-fog stuff and it doesn't work. I've even had to take my hat off and fan my face to get rid of the fog. That will get ya busted too. I've even considered face paint, but I have a thick beard too.
TURKEY NUT CUSTOM STRIKERS- Jeffrey Thompson-Owner.  Kathleen,GA
Hunt with your kids, not for them.

Hunt with your kids, not for them.

Rapscallion Vermilion

Quote from: turkey harvester on March 18, 2016, 09:34:57 AM
I've even considered face paint, but I have a thick beard too.
If your beard is dark like in your avatar, I wouldn't even worry about it.  It's good camo.  Mine is mostly white now, but I found that the carbomask stuff I just bought goes on and off the beard easily.

shaman

I use a glass strap.  For most of my 30-some years as a turkey hunter, I've been using a Kroakies strap. No problems.

One thing I do different, however, is I don't use a mask. I use a veil.  I turkey hunted before the advent of store-bought masks. I found some camo netting and cut a piece big enough to tie either side of a boonie hat.  I leave the veil piled up on top of my hat.  When I want to go into hiding, I just lower my chin and the veil falls down over my face.  When I'm travelling, I push it back.

I find that:

1) It leaves room for putting in mouth calls
2) It's away from my face, so the veil does not cause fogging.
3) It obscures the shape of my head a lot more than a mask.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries  of SW Bracken County, KY 
Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

Rapscallion Vermilion

The veil is an interesting idea.  You don't find that it obscures your vision?  It must be pretty fine material.   I like my Old Tom Boonie hat with the mask and opening for the eyes, but it doesn't work with the glasses.

BowBendr

I use the primos 3/4 spandex type ninja mask. I trimmed out around the nose hole a bit with scissors and pant like a dog thru my mouth, no fogging ;)