turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Mossberg 835 or Remington 870

Started by Gtown78, March 16, 2016, 07:17:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gtown78

Looking to get me a new turkey/waterfowl gun. Trying to decide between these two. Which and why?

Gobspur

I've had both for years and years.  Always liked the 870 better.  Just seems better built; smoother action, more comfortable, etc.  The Mossberg forearms always seem to rattle/too loose for me.  Maybe they've fixed that now, don't know. But make no mistake, their both quality guns.  Kind of a like Ford vs chevy, which you like better?

tha bugman

Remington.  I don't know if they still make the 870 Super Mag Waterfowl Turkey Combo (comes with two different chokes)  but I have killed ducks and turkey with mine.  I have not used it much wing shooting so I am making it a dedicated turkey gun.

stinkpickle

Handle a few versions of each before deciding.  How it fits you is more important than make and model.

SwampRooster17

I've killed a lot of game with a mossburg 500 there a good gun but having said that I recently purchased an 870 and I love the feel of it. I think I've found my new favorite shotgun.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Gtown78 on March 16, 2016, 07:17:04 AM
Looking to get me a new turkey/waterfowl gun. Trying to decide between these two. Which and why?

First of all, welcome to OG. Glad you're hear and look forward to hearing more from you.

I have a couple of 835s and several 870s. I've been shooting both for many years and like them both. Both fit me well and come to my shoulder easily. Both are capable of throwing excellent patterns, properly choked and I've killed birds with both of them.

The newer 835s, from what I see, are of higher quality than the older ones. I especially like my latest one with the Matthews recoil reduction system.

With modern shells, waterfowl shells included, I don't see a real need for 3.5" shells when hunting, so that particular feature of the 835 is not a great benefit to me. The 935 has the LPA trigger available and it's a great feature that I'd recommend. I've put a lot of rounds down range with my 835s and they just keep going.

I can say pretty much the same for the 870s in my life. They work every time and I can't recall a failure to feed or any other problems with them. I have one that wanted to rust but I used some PrOlix and that stopped it.

I think it comes down to which one feels the best to you. I'd encourage you to handle both guns as much as possible and see which fits you best and comes to your shoulder most easily. You really can't wrong with either.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

BDeal

870 all the way for me! They last forever and never miss a beat. I can't stand the rattle of the Mossbergs and they just don't feel as solid or well built to me

Double B

Mossberg 835 is the turkey gun standard in my opinion.  Built like a tank and hits like one too.  Backbored to 10 ga, big payloads, etc.  If you do get an 870,  I like the older ones better.
Followed by buzzards

surehuntsalot

835 best patterning shotgun out there
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Gtown78

Went to Walmart and walked out the owner of a brand new Remington 870 express. I really like the fact that it is a tighter action than the Mossberg was. Cleaned it up and shot a couple of Federal turkey loads in #5 and 6 through the modified that came in the gun. It shoots good out to about 30 yards. I will get a turkey choke to try later. Thanks for the help.

Izzyjoe

That 870 will serve you well for many years to come!

PEHunter

Congratulations on the new gun. Like someone else said, it's a Ford and Chevy think. You can't really go wrong with either one. I have one of each myself.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

longislandloco

The 870.......My 20GA is 53 years old and my 12GA is 43 years old.
"A man ought to have a good shotgun, needn't be an expensive shotgun, just a good shotgun".....Old Moe

wvmntnhick

Guess id have fallen into the minority here. I've had mossberg said and Remington's off and on for years. Only Remington I've got left is an 11-87 20 ga. All the 870's have gone the way of the do do bird. Still hold on to a couple of the Bossbergs. Some hate the forearm rattle. To me, that's one of the things I love about it.

Ozark870Hunter

Guess my screen name sums up my opinion.
United Front Armory
Custom built firearms
Top quality cerakote applications
https://www.facebook.com/UnitedFrontArmory/