turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Turkey vest for a small guy?

Started by Marc, March 14, 2016, 11:30:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marc

5'7" 150 lbs...  Every vest I have tried fits like a loose fitting dress (not that I have tried on a lot of dresses)...

Finally found one I like, but the game bag is too small to fit a dead bird in.  I hunt some steep country with some long walks, and truckin' a turkey out on my shoulder is not an option (I already have shoulder issues).

I want a vest that cinches up, so that I do not sound like a one-man band walking through the woods.

Hoping for an affordable price as well...
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Gobspur

I'm 5' 9" and 150.  So just 2 inches taller than you.  I have an old Russell in XS they don't make anymore, but needed a knew one.  After trying many, I went with the Cabelas Tactical Tat'r 2, in size S/M.  It's not too long and you'll be able to cinch it down to fit.  Liked the Tat'r 3, but it only comes in M/L and was too long and loose.  Hope that helps.

TauntoHawk

i hear ya, 5'6" 150lbs i have the older style (maybe 6-7yrs old) Tac Tater II and its OK not great. I am seriously considering going to a back pack instead this year and adding a few call specific pockets to the waist belt ie for when on the move.

I just ordered two turkey totes from cornfed on here, had to carry a few 20+lb birds over 2 miles of hills last year and they don't ride well in the game back sits down by my tail bone. the weight is fine but it moves around and messes with my balance when crossing through steep rocky terrain.

I just dont think theres a perfect vest on the market so i might just do a pack and see how I like it.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

born2hunt

That's why I don't wear a vest.  I have never even bought one,  just trying them on is enough to tell they'd drive me nuts flopping around.  A light pack may not be perfect for organizing but at least I'm comfortable while hiking in. But I still keep my eyes open for the perfect fitting vest.
Genesis 1:26
   Then God said, "Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals,[a] and over all the creatures that move along the ground."

Swather

You girls need to eat more chicken.  All the hormones would help you grow into a size XL and then you won't have to worry about finding a vest small enough anymore.  ;D ;D

beakbuster10

Before college and many many brews ago, I was 5'10" 160#. The OL Tom time and motion fit me great when tightened down. It still fits now, I just had to loosen her up a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

buzzardroost

I'm 5'7" 135 and the S/M Cabelas tactical Tatr 2 fits me well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

whiskey

I have a Tactical Turkey in small and it pulls down tight. I'm 5'5" and 140. I was thinner when I bought it a few years back. Game bag is on the smaller size though.

"So he cocked both his pistols, spit in the dirt, and walked out in to the street."

born2hunt

Quote from: Swather on March 15, 2016, 04:05:38 PM
You girls need to eat more chicken.  All the hormones would help you grow into a size XL and then you won't have to worry about finding a vest small enough anymore.  ;D ;D
Don't be hating on all us Lean, Mean, Turkey killing Machines !!!!  :toothy9:
Genesis 1:26
   Then God said, "Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals,[a] and over all the creatures that move along the ground."

tha bugman

you sound like my boss hen
Quote from: Swather on March 15, 2016, 04:05:38 PM

tha bugman

I have lost a lot of weight since last turkey season so I had to buy an entire new wardrobe vest included.  I got an Ol' Tom I beam after trying several different ones.  Its the most comfortable vest I believe I have owned and I like the pocket layout and the seat is amazing. I made sure and did the research before ordering it because its not cheap.  I called Drake and asked about sizing and they told me that a slender woman ( I think they used the word dainty) had put it on and fit her fine.  I made sure and told them that I was not dainty. While I was looking around I did see a Primos S/M on ebay.  I have had one of these vests in the past, its good storage wise but the seat is a little lacking.

davisd9

I am 6'1 and about 6 years ago I was 145, not any more, and I used a inexpensive vest from Walmart. Field line was the brand I believe. It fit me pretty well. I think the ol tom time and motion should go well for a leaner guy. Now that I have gained 45 lbs I wear an Ibeam.

Sent from the Strut Zone
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

tha bugman

Dug my Fieldline out from 10 years ago....quite a bit of floppage  ;D  but it sure is a good vest.  I debated on the time and motion over the I beam.  Both fit me the same, I just like pocket layout better on the I beam
Quote from: davisd9 on March 16, 2016, 10:03:11 AM
I am 6'1 and about 6 years ago I was 145, not any more, and I used a inexpensive vest from Walmart. Field line was the brand I believe. It fit me pretty well. I think the ol tom time and motion should go well for a leaner guy. Now that I have gained 45 lbs I wear an Ibeam.

Sent from the Strut Zone

Cove

Quote from: lindllc on March 15, 2016, 07:55:49 AM
I'm 5' 9" and 150.  So just 2 inches taller than you.  I have an old Russell in XS they don't make anymore, but needed a knew one.  After trying many, I went with the Cabelas Tactical Tat'r 2, in size S/M.  It's not too long and you'll be able to cinch it down to fit.  Liked the Tat'r 3, but it only comes in M/L and was too long and loose.  Hope that helps.

This ^^

jwright8

6'0 140 pounds here. Tatr ll S/M fits me great. I beilve its on sale right now.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk