Main Menu

Decoys used on Public Land.

Started by model94, March 14, 2016, 09:59:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

g8rvet

Quote from: silvestris on March 15, 2016, 08:40:03 PM
Quote from: g8rvet on March 15, 2016, 12:20:09 PM
I would have shot back.
Sounds a little harsh without additional facts.
I have the facts and I would have shot back.
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Full strut

I agree with gooserbat. I never use them, keeping the, curious to typically ends up in a turkey taking a dirt nap

WildTigerTrout

I don't use decoys or blinds anywhere I hunt public or private. I certainly would not use them on public land here as IMO it's too dangerous.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

CMBOSTC

I had roosted a gobbler a few years back on a ridge line near a river. On opening morning I was there waiting. I heard another hunter yelping a couple of hundred yards back behind me. So, me and the gobbler start-up a conversation while he was on the roost. Within a few minutes he flew down and was moving closer to me when all of a sudden I hear a gun shot at danger close. I waited for my heart to slow down a little and walked back down the trail that I had come-up on and there was a decoy sitting there that wasn't there before. This guys steps out with the bird in hand and says I didn't think I had a chance with you there. Which prompted me to ask, you knew I was there? He said yes. The unbelievable part was, he was a game warden. Please be careful out there.

Chris

g8rvet

QuoteThis guys steps out with the bird in hand and says I didn't think I had a chance with you there.
Wow.  People get so frickin selfish and hoggish over stuff.  Did you resist explaining what an inconsiderate, dangerous Summer's Eve he was?
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

CMBOSTC

Needless to say, I was still a little shaken. I also remember not wanting to start an altercation with a man who just shot a bird out from underneath me. Then I found out he was a game warden and didn't want him to cause problems for me so I let it go.

tha bugman

I have and have not....I have seen some gobblers give a jake the ole stink eye and ease on past...like...I believe I have seen that before.. :toothy12:  To each his own.  More and more idiots in the woods thats for sure....

HunterRye

I always leave my jake or strutter DSD's at home for public land. Not worth it

HunterRye

TRG3

Illinois has five season and you can apply for three permits; however, one doesn't always get the season and/or county of their first choice but instead a second or third option. While I got my first two choices for the county in which I reside, the third one was an option and will require me to drive a couple of hours and hunt on public land where I haven't been in at least 10+ years. I'm planning to use my Funky Chicken along with a hen decoy since the chicken doesn't really look like an authentic gobbler plus I'll have to walk in at least 30 minutes to get to my old hunting area. There were always gobblers in there and I'll be using my hen yelps and gobble tube, so I want something that looks good to a turkey but unreal to a hunter. I hunted this area for several years in the past and have never seen another hunter back there.

Cullenhunter

I use decoys in field situations exclusively. Multiple dekes sets have worked better this year with the late spring(family groups). Put that alert hen out at 40 yards working away from where you think the birds are coming from, or leave her in the bag. Put the 2 jakes working the feeding hen. The shaker works great on heavily hunted public ground, but it makes you the hunted by the inexperienced. Private ground is safest for the shaker. Mid day is the time I've taken birds with the shaker.
Cullen's future best turkey hunter
Hoyt vector turbo
Rem 1100 lt 20 ga
Hr 12 ga

Buzzkiller

The public land where I hunt the turkeys do not like decoys they will get out of dodge when they see them.
Several hunters have tried decoys and they spook the turkeys 99% of the time

Captain Hooks

I use relaxed feeding hen, just make sure your out of the way from the decoy.  Some hunters do crazy things to get a bird

renegade19

Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't.  When I do, I ALWAYS carry them in a bag.  NEVER, EVER carry one open.  Especially, a jake or strutter.  Hunting public or private I always try to be aware and at my "woodsy" best just to be extra careful.  I've got no desire to become a statistic.  Same reason I try to look for snakes before I sit down and watch where I step in snake country. 

Cutt

Don' t use them, but always wanted to buy one of them strutting Toms, and put it out before daylight in a field. Then gobble like crazy before daylight, head to the other end of Gamelands and enjoy myself. ;D