Main Menu

Had to try it.

Started by callmakerman, March 11, 2016, 09:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SS Calls

callmakerman

Quote from: mspaci on March 11, 2016, 10:57:49 PM
Nice, how did it turn?
Not an easy turning piece and it smells like _hit. If you try this stuff make sure you have a respirator on. Well worth it when I finished it though. I'll wet sand the next one to clean it up nice.

pappy

LOL...Bill I was gonna ask ya if you carried toilet paper with ya to the shop, I know that stuff stinks....turned a lot when we made duck calls out of it....man she looks great though, I had a chunk of the black but ended up throwing it out as i never thought of turning a pot out of it...it was too thin for turning a barrel out of it...wished i still had it now....
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206

callmakerman

Jack this has to be some of the nastiest smelling stuff that I've worked with. Grabs the tools while turning and you gotta take it slow as well. Call sound great and I would load a sound file but sound cloud is being a pain again. It won't let me record to the site. It only wants to allow me to upload a file.

pappy

Quote from: callmakerman on March 12, 2016, 12:38:54 PM
Jack this has to be some of the nastiest smelling stuff that I've worked with. Grabs the tools while turning and you gotta take it slow as well. Call sound great and I would load a sound file but sound cloud is being a pain again. It won't let me record to the site. It only wants to allow me to upload a file.
tell me about it...I have never been able to upload a sound bite, not smarter then the computer I guess, don't matter I know your calls are sounders...wonder what kind of finish you gonna use? Mylands + CA?
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206

callmakerman

No finish on this call. Just sanded it down to 400. I think wet sanding will bring out a better look on the next one.

eorlando

That sounds real nice. Now if I can just get bill to make one for me

West Augusta

Looks good Bill.  I've heard of trumpets made out of it but that's the first pot call I've see.
I've cut a lot for coal mine electric panels.  Threw away a lot also.  Like Pappy, wish I'd have kept some.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

Footballer

Sounds really good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

callmakerman

Quote from: West Augusta on March 12, 2016, 07:21:32 PM
Looks good Bill.  I've heard of trumpets made out of it but that's the first pot call I've see.
I've cut a lot for coal mine electric panels.  Threw away a lot also.  Like Pappy, wish I'd have kept some.
Steve most people don't know that this was developed for the electric industry. I think the bigger claim to fame is knife handles.  Micarta is very strong and almost has a tacky feel when wet. I think it makes a great pot call.

jed clampett

It sure sounds like it...aluminum sounds great..let me know of ya ever make to sell!!

Matt k

jamo

They make duck calls out of it also.

tha bugman

That green striker is beautiful!