OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

white wild turkeys

Started by hotspur, March 10, 2016, 07:46:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beards and Hooks

Really neat and nice bird, i bet it was awesome seeing that turkey come in!

Dr Juice

Not permitted to shoot hens in the Spring in NY. Therefore, I would enjoy the show ... And hope for lover boy to appear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dr Juice

Quote from: Fatbeard on March 10, 2016, 09:50:56 PM
I watch this guy as he was a poult. Split from his mom hen and start running with a group of 7 other jakes. Have about 20 trailcam pics and was very fortunate to kill him a few years ago.

Awesome bird.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ThunderChickenHunter21

I have 2 partial white birds on my farm, both hens though.  Be nice if one of them produced a white gobbler!

Haypatch

Have a couple white hens on out lease... they are not completely white but probably 80% ...never seen a tom that color though. The hens are usually dark under their wings.

870supermagnum

I was scouting an area a few weeks ago with my two grandsons and a flock of birds (8-10) where out in the road, and one was a white hen.  As we slowly move forward they left the road into some Palmettos, and when we got too close they busted and flew off into a swam bottom.  She was pretty both on the ground and in the air.

snapper1982

Quote from: fallhnt on March 10, 2016, 10:01:10 AM
A released turkey wouldn't survive a day in the wild. As Gobblenut said...BAD idea.
why wouldn't they  survive a day? Or even a year? Domestic birds get free and survive all the time.

MK M GOBL

Quote from: snapper1982 on March 11, 2016, 06:52:35 PM
Quote from: fallhnt on March 10, 2016, 10:01:10 AM
A released turkey wouldn't survive a day in the wild. As Gobblenut said...BAD idea.
why wouldn't they  survive a day? Or even a year? Domestic birds get free and survive all the time.

We raised "Bronze" turkeys on the farm, our hens raised the young but we had numerous problems with owls, hawks, mink, fox and cats killing them in and around the barnyard let alone the coyotes, bobcats, wolves, dogs and others on the "predator" list living around us. When we would lose one wasn't usually to long until we would find the tell tale pile of feathers... Domesticated birds, at least around here wouldn't have a chance surviving. Now I don't necessarily say it's not going to not make it out there for a day but doubt it could make it a week. Our hens could fly, the toms so-so... but even with this they never left the barnyard. They just don't have the survival instincts, wariness, or heartiness needed to live as a "wild" bird does.

MK M GOBL

catman529

I'd get as much video as I could... if it was fall season, she'd be flopping. Spring season I would just enjoy watching and filming. White or gray phase turkey would pretty much be worth throwing down the cash for a full body mount. And I've never sent anything to a taxidermist before.

WNCTracker

Id enjoy the moment unless it was fall. I bet those half tame ones are real tender though :-)

fallhnt

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

fallhnt

^^^Ks...last year

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

MK M GOBL

Quote from: fallhnt on March 20, 2016, 02:20:06 PM
^^^Ks...last year

That would appear to be a Smokey Phase "Wild" bird than a "released" domesticated bird.

MK M GOBL

KyLongbeardhunter

I have a white and gray bird in a flock of about 40 birds a mile from my house in one direction,and 2 white and gray birds in a flock of 8 birds about 2 miles from my house in opposite direction,all 3 last years hatch,i don't know if hens or gobblers,but to far apart to have any genetic relations.No tame turkeys in the area,just some sort of mutations I suppose.     dlw

jed clampett

I have shot 1 hen in my life she had a 6 in beard and it was 2 hours before my season ended for the year...can't shoot hens in spring in Illinois only ones with beards...have had many many chances at hens in the fall with my bow ..they are legal with a bow but I have no desire to..if I were presented a shot on a all white gobbler...i would let him walk ..just so few an to unique...now if a gobbler was partially white I would take him...always hunt no matter what the weather....just my opinion on the white ones