OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Best load for mossberg 835

Started by Browning4140, February 29, 2016, 04:12:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Browning4140

Ok, so on another thread I asked which gun people prefer for a turkey gun and the biggest majority of people said the 835. I am probably going to try and get one before turkey season gets here. I am planning on buying a aftermarket choke for it sometime in the near future but it will probably be toward next year so I can put some money into a nice one. Anyways, using the factory ulti-tube choke that comes with the gun, what are some off the shelf loads that pattern good with this choke?

P.S. When I do have the finances together for a aftermarket choke for the 835, what would you recommend?

dirt road ninja

My favorite loads that are available at most places are in this order.
1. Hevi 13's 2.25 oz of 7's
2. The same as above, but 6's
3. 2.25 oz Magblends.
4. Federal HW 1 7/8 oz load of 7's (with your choke, I might try these first)
5. Though I've never shot them I'd probably go Longbeard 5's.
6. The same as above, but 6's.

letinmfly

My 835 is especially fond on the Win Supreme HV #5's, in 3".  I've killed birds from 5-45 yards with this load.
I use the XX-Full Turkey Choke that came with the gun.
Captain of the former Gobble Kings

Eview326

Both 3.5" mag blends and 3.5" LB 6's put well over 200 in the 10 @ 40 yards for me with Sumtoy .675 choke and 20" barrel.

kdsberman

My 835 loves Nitro H517.   My wallet and the turkeys don't like them though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BowBendr

You said factory turkey choke...Longbeard #4's. Its a beast...

2015 Old Gobbler contest Champions

cjr1

I've not used the factory choke in many years. So I can't really help there. But, I use an IC most of the time with a 26" barrel running Magblend 3.5". Not afraid to go out to 60 with that set up. I don't make a habit of that and would much rather have one in my lap, but every time it was the last day of a hunt.

If I'm hunting timber around home. I will use a Jellyhead choke on a 22" barrel and run Longbeard 3.5" 6 shot.

I have Deep Cleaned and Polished both barrels. That will make a huge difference even on a brand new gun.

knightrider

Factory choke= longbeards xr 4 or5. Aftermarket a pure gold 670 with longbeards #5

turkeywhisperer935

If you get a after market choke you can get a jellyhead for around 60 bucks or less and hevi 13, 3 1/2 in 7's shoot nice with the combo you will have. Don't shoot them through the factory choke cause it's rated for lead only so with it I'd shoot number 6 longbeards or federals.

bbcoach

Chokes in the .670-.676 range (Pure Gold, Sumtoy, IC, Stardot, etc)

Hevi 7's and 6's in 3" and 3 1/2's
LB's in 6's and 5's in 3" and 3 1/2's

I shoot 3 1/2 Hevi 7's with a .670 Pure Gold and have plenty of LB 5 and 6's to back up the 7's.  I also have a .676 Colonial Arms Stardot and .675 IC to back up my PG choke for future experimentation.

turkey harvester

Kicks GT .680 choke and 3 1/2" Winchester Supremes are a wicked combo in mine. 
TURKEY NUT CUSTOM STRIKERS- Jeffrey Thompson-Owner.  Kathleen,GA
Hunt with your kids, not for them.

Hunt with your kids, not for them.

TrackeySauresRex

Quote from: turkey harvester on March 01, 2016, 09:16:06 AM
Kicks GT .680 choke and 3 1/2" Winchester Supremes are a wicked combo in mine.

X-2 to this. The JH does good with the Mag Blend as well.
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

Double B

Longbeard XR #5's all the way. It shoots great patterns with 3" shells. Tried many turkey loads and 4 chokes and have a .676 star dot in it now.  No more load testing for me.
Followed by buzzards

birdhunterdave

Hevi shot 7 3" with an Indian creek .675 have been the best combo for me.

Browning4140

OK so i did go ahead and get a 835 the other day and picked up a box of Winchester LBXR in 3" #4 shot because thats all the local Walmart had in stock. I took it out this morning and fired a couple rounds thru it and also a couple winchester supreme 3" #5 that I had laying around. The longbeards were pretty impressive using the factory ultimag choke that came with the gun. And I also shot my 870 with the same 2 loads using a new Bass Pro Black Out turkey choke that is made by carlsons. All shots were taken at 40yds with the gun resting on the side of my truck bed.

Remington 870 28" Barrel
BPS Black Out Turkey Choke
Win LBXR put 101 pellets in a 10" circle / 150 pellets in a 12" circle
Win Sup put 47 pellets in a 10" circle / 99 in a 12" circle

The entire pattern was very even all the way around. With the LBXR the entire pattern was probably in a 18-20" group.

Mossberg 835 24" Barrel
Factory Ultimag choke
Win LBXR
Shot #1 (I pulled the shot to the left)
78 pellets in a 10" circle / 112 pellets in a 12" circle
Shot #2
Win LBXR
82 pellets in a 10" circle / 133 in a 12" circle
Win Sup.
61 pellets in a 10" circle / 137 in a 12" circle

Over all I think that both guns patterned extremly well. As far as chokes go the factory Mossberg Choke outshot the Black Out choke using the Winchester Supremes. But as of right now I am planning on buying some of the Long Beards in 3" #6. I called carlsons choke company and spoke with a tech there and he said the Black Out choke will shoot any turkey load and result with a  good tight pattern but reccomended the Win. Long Beard XR 3" #6 in the 835, and said with their testing on that load and choke they were getting 200+ in a 10" circle at 40yds.