OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Shooting off the "off" shoulder?

Started by Marc, February 29, 2016, 11:56:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marc

Anybody out there a "switch shooter?"

There have not been many times, but there have been a couple when birds come in to my hard right (as a right-handed shooter), and I cannot get the gun far enough around...

On a local waterfowl forum, I read where one of the members switched to shoot left-handed, and my first thought was "Why didn't I think of that!?"

Let's face it, a turkey on the ground is not a tough target, it is pretty much stationary...  And, I am left-eye dominant, so I will be practicing a bit this year to shoot off my left shoulder in case a bird comes in on the hard right.

So frequently I just "know" where a bird is going to come in from, and they end up coming in from a different direction...  I am frequently surprised and confused by how a bird circled around, and came in from such an unexpected direction...  I think being able to switch shoulders would be a good tool in the turkey killing arsenal...

How many of you guys switch or have switched shoulders to shoot from to kill that bird that comes in from the "wrong" direction?
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

stinkpickle

By the time I realize I need to switch shoulders, the bird is usually too close for me to do it.  I either just wait or quick draw on him.

Rio Fan

I was hunting with a friend of mine years ago and we had a bird come in from our right.  I was back behind my buddy a ways doing the calling.  The bird eventually worked into range and got thumped.  What I didn't realize was that my friend had to switch to lefty (normally shoots righty) on that bird or he wouldn't have been able to shoot.  I was impressed.  I need to practice that when I'm patterning my gun pre-season.

Dr Juice

I have done it during the deer season but not turkey season yet. However, I would give it a whirl since i have a scope on my turkey slaying machine.  :OGturkeyhead:

silvestris

I have probably killed 30% of my turkeys from the off shoulder but the doctor won't let me do it anymore because of my pacemaker, and the turkeys know it.  I particularly remember a turkey where circumstances dictated me throwing the shotgun up in the air quickly and switching hands when he was quickly walking behind a small tree at about 15 steps.  He was just about to exclaim "unfair" when I squeezed the trigger.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Cleveland48

I have killed turkeys with either hand. I write left handed but shoot with either. I have right and left handed rifles. Although with flying targets like doves I'm better with my left. Just grab you a good 22 rifle to start and some bricks of ammo and start practicing. Honestly shooting turkey with a shotgun standing still strutting is no different than shooting a squirrel in the head with a 22 technically.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dirt road ninja

I've done it a couple times on turkeys and deer.

Marc

I suppose a better question would be...  Has anyone missed because of shooting off the "off shoulder?" :gobble:
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

tha bugman

I am ambidextrous and can shoot off either shoulder but eye dominance is more on the left eye than right, but have not found it to be too big of a challenge with rifle or scattergun. :OGturkeyhead:

Happy

I have shot a few deer and turkeys left handed. Shot a Tom basically one handed as well. I regretted that one.... Well almost regretted it.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

SteelerFan

As others said, it can be done. Things to consider: aiming / eye dominance (close the "off" eye if you have trouble). I'd also HIGHLY recommend a practice session at the range - starting with 2 3/4" low brass dove loads. That first time you pull the trigger can be a bit of a surprise! It's kinda like brushing your teeth, or wiping your *** with your opposite hand - might not be pretty, but gets the job done.

dirt road ninja

Quote from: Marc on February 29, 2016, 04:33:05 PM
I suppose a better question would be...  Has anyone missed because of shooting off the "off shoulder?" :gobble:

I have

dejake

Last year on two of my four birds I had to switch and shoot left-handed.  I have a FastFire, so it was pretty easy.  The hard part is knowing if/when you can move the gun.

Lefty

I'm a lefty.....go figure right!!!  I shoot my bow right handed but guns left handed.  This helps me make the switch in the woods, I can comfortably shoot a gun off either shoulder.  Opening day last year I was working a bird and had 2 othesr come in to my back left and had to switch to make the kill.

J.D. Shellnut

I've killed two left handed. And the end result was the same. Two dead birds and blood pouring from my top lip! lol I guess I hold my knox stock different left handed. Bad thing is I knew what was coming on the second bird!!!
60% of the time it works every time!