OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

My first question (newbie)

Started by Danger DAve, March 30, 2011, 09:35:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danger DAve

Thanks brother.  I will do that.

Danger DAve

Open Door you were almost right about me bagging one.  He was in my sights twenty yards away and I missed somehow.  Still trying to figure out how.

open door

Quote from: Danger DAve on April 01, 2011, 09:31:07 AM
Open Door you were almost right about me bagging one.  He was in my sights twenty yards away and I missed somehow.  Still trying to figure out how.
Wow - 20 yds. is close, yu didn't have much of a pattern, so a little brush, ever so slight a pull to left or right, would cause it. Get right back in that location with a different call this time, sit down, and plan to "stay awhile". They are using that area, and will be there. Get there "waaaay before first light", put up your blind, & enjoy God's great outdoors until they wake up, & you'll be ready. Also, use small cap lights, I prefer green in color. You will get your bird, soon.

Danger DAve

That sounds like good advice and I'm taking it.  I'll be waiting on 'em Monday morning.

open door

Be sure & give us a report. I feel like you're going to hear gobbling, & most likely see some birds. I just love talking about hunts, and I like to learn from others. I've hunted several years, & only killed 6 birds, so I consider myself still a beginner. Seems to me the Eastern Wild turkey is hard to hunt because I find that the gobbler usually roosts with hens, and he flies down with them, or near them. Makes it tough.lol

Danger DAve

OK.  Not much of a report.  I went this morning.  Heard very distant gobbling very early and saw a single hen not five feet from where I missed the bird Friday.  Then it got windy.  Real windy.  This ends the report.

Hey they can't all be exciting.

siyakadog

The turkeys will see you blink- 2 yrs ago had my buddy calling 20yds behind me.  Two jakes come up silently and stop no more than 6ft from me.  My heart was pounding and about to pee myself.  I never look a animal in the eye, the whole time I focused on the short beard.  Then I looked into the eye  of one and they busted me!!!  Most exciting turkey hunt Ive had, and I knew Iwasnt going to shoot, but that was hardcore.
I tried to snap shoot one last year-I think im pretty fast but they call them the "gray ghost" for a reason, felt aweful first time Ive ever wounded a bird.
When they are really close I aim low on the neck , cuz with my choke its like shooting a Quarter at close range.   
Good luck it took me 5 yrs to bag one, found out that a person had been hunting my area the week before me.  The first year they didn't hunt, there was turkeys everywhere, and I bagged one 5 mins after shooting time!

tomdown#4

Sometimes you get stuck in scenario when the turkey is looking at a camoflage blob (you) and you have to move your gun to make a good shot. Your best bet is to do it SLOWLY. There is a 50/50 chance that he will flee in the process but your chances of getting your sights on him will be MUCH greater if you do it slowly instead of trying to make a hastey shot.