turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Turkey Books

Started by GED6531, February 21, 2016, 08:34:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GED6531

I enjoy reading books on turkey hunting and managing. I have several books already, but I am looking to add a few more. I just want to ask everyone, what is your favorite turkey hunting/management book? Thanks for the input!

davisd9

Old Pro Turkey Hunter is my favorite. Illumination in the Flatwoods is a good one and so is One Man Game.

Sent from the Strut Zone
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

West Augusta

I just finished America, Wild Turkey & Mongrel Dogs Life Lessons from  a Hunting Master by Kenny Morgan.  Highly recommended.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

Big Treble

Illumination in the Flat Woods, was a tough read for me. It was good, but I had to force my way through it.  turkey Hunters Bible, by Ray Eye.  And of course the 10th Legion.

357MAGNOLE

Quote from: Big Treble on February 21, 2016, 08:50:27 PM
Illumination in the Flat Woods, was a tough read for me.

It is a tough read.  I am about 45% through it and not getting much out of it. Some intriguing parts, but that's about it so far.

I read the 10th legion, its entertaining and has some good quotes. 

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."--Thomas Jefferson

West Augusta

Quote from: Big Treble on February 21, 2016, 08:50:27 PM
Illumination in the Flat Woods, was a tough read for me. It was good, but I had to force my way through it.  turkey Hunters Bible, by Ray Eye.  And of course the 10th Legion.

They made a great PBS show based on Illumination in the Flat Woods called "My Life as a Turkey"  Not much of a hunting show but it was a good nature movie.

No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

Jtpeagle41

Anything and everything Tom Kelly

Jtpeagle41

Also a good one just for laughs that is outdoors in general would be Bill Heavey's books. He writes the articals for the last page of Field and Stream. His books are collections of those mixed with some short stories

Bennett

Anything by Lovett Williams but especially Wild Turkey Hunting and Management.

Fan Club

* Tenth Legion- Col. Tom Kelly
* Illumination in the Flatwoods- Joe Hutto
* Turkey Hunters Digest- Jim Spencer
* Bad Birds- Jim Spencer
* Truth Series - Cuz Strickland
* The Turkey Hunters- Brian Lovett
* Tomfoolery 2000- Earl Groves
* PHD Gobblers- Hunter's Specialties

All of these are outstanding reading and essential if you are serious about a turkey hunting book collection. They are mostly about hunting, hunting skills and hunting stories. For turkey management you'll want to find anything by Lovett Williams or Roger Latham who were both Biologists. Amazon is a great resource for all of these books as you can find great deals on used copies in good condition. Happy reading!

<-  <-  <-  <-  <-  <-  <-  <-  <-

"Really, it's just like a musical instrument. If I'd have spent the same amount of time practicin' the piano as I have practicin' turkey calls, I'd be as good as Liberace."  Ben Rogers Lee

Spitten and drummen

Quote from: West Augusta on February 21, 2016, 08:36:40 PM
I just finished America, Wild Turkey & Mongrel Dogs Life Lessons from  a Hunting Master by Kenny Morgan.  Highly recommended.
X2. It was a great book along with one man game and old turkey pro
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

mgm1955

Quote from: Bennett on February 21, 2016, 09:04:42 PM
:agreed:
Jim Casada's Remembering the Greats is a great book about the legends of turkey hunting. His turkey hunting bibliography is a tremendous resource on the literature of the sport. Anything turkey is worth reading.

BowBendr

Ray Eyes 'Turkey hunters bible' is my favorite.

2015 Old Gobbler contest Champions

mwr

Quote from: Bennett on February 21, 2016, 09:04:42 PM
:icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

Rapscallion Vermilion

Quote from: Treerooster on February 21, 2016, 10:05:35 PM
Looked at Kenny Morgans new book but $45...wow. I am hesitant of getting that as I have his "One Man Game" book (loved it) and so many times the second book has a lot of the authors first book in it.
I don't think you'll regret getting it. There is so much in it that isn't in the first book.