OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Can you make him Gobble before daylight?

Started by Flounder, February 13, 2016, 07:01:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steinb3rg

When we hunted in MS, we had a small tract of land closer to our camp that we could hunt but had only seen birds in there a handful of times. Normally they were across the road in the bigger tract next to the forest.

Well one season we were pulling into the camp the afternoon before the opener and saw a tom and two hens out past the camp a hundred yards or so.

The next morning, my dad wakes up about an hour earlier than normal, walks outside, grabs two 2x4 pieces and slams them together on the porch. A bird sounds off and he doesn't sound far. He leans his head back in the camper and says, we are hunting behind the camp this morning. He ended up killing the bird that morning not long after daybreak when he pitched down off the roost. 

Farmboy27

Quote from: OldSchool on February 14, 2016, 09:02:16 AM
I hesitated to mention this, but you'd be surprised what a shotgun blast will do in some instances. If you think about it, It's probably no different than a loud clap of thunder to the birds. I'm not talking about sneaking in close to where you think, or know birds are roosted and touching one off, but under the right circumstances and from a distance, you might be surprised.

Ok, let me have it, lol. ;D

Bob
anything that works!  My uncles favorite locater is beating his hands on the roof or hood of the car.  Works as good as any store bought locater that I ever had!

WildTigerTrout

I use a locator call as a last resort. I listen for them to gobble on their own. If they don't then I will resort to locators. My favorite is the Primos "Power" Crow.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

jed clampett

Before first dawn coyote howler...no luck with hootin stick till first light....better luck at dusk evening before with a howler