News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Anyone use a GPS?

Started by 357MAGNOLE, February 13, 2016, 12:48:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

357MAGNOLE

Quote from: turkey_slayer on February 13, 2016, 05:29:44 PM
I use backcountry navigator on my phone. Works awesome and doesn't need a signal. Battery life is really good in airplane mode

How does it work without signal or anything?
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."--Thomas Jefferson

outdoors

YUP MY OLD I PHONE DID THE SAMETHING
DOWN LOAD THE AREA TO THE PHONE
AND THE PHONE HAD A GPS CAPABILITY
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

I am admittedly get turned around easily in the woods. I got a Garmin etrex 20. Its a middle of the road unit but I really like it. I mark the truck when I get out in the morning and put it in my pocket. It gives me confidence and peace of mind to venture out as far as the turkeys take me and not worry about getting back to the truck.

MK M GOBL

Quote from: 357MAGNOLE on February 14, 2016, 02:42:57 PM
Quote from: turkey_slayer on February 13, 2016, 05:29:44 PM
I use backcountry navigator on my phone. Works awesome and doesn't need a signal. Battery life is really good in airplane mode

How does it work without signal or anything?

I have not seen an actual "GPS" smartphone on the market, they may have an app that can track you based off of signals from Cell Towers but not "True GPS" receivers in them. Not saying they are not accurate, mine is surprisingly accurate but if it loses all cell signal it's done... and my maps are way more up to date, I do use the smartphone but don't rely on it.

MK M GOBL

turkey_slayer

No they are true gps signals. Been around for a pretty good while now.  Don't need any service. Just download the map of the area your going to ahead of time if you have no service there.

turkey_slayer

I use high mode but it automatically uses gps since I have no service. By no service I mean I got to drive 45 minutes to even send a text. It's extremely accurate

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

MK M GOBL

Quote from: turkey_slayer on February 14, 2016, 05:35:32 PM
No they are true gps signals. Been around for a pretty good while now.  Don't need any service. Just download the map of the area your going to ahead of time if you have no service there.

To the best of my knowledge and not to say this is wrong... and my phone also has "GPS" also... but there are many forms of said GPS... It is a very widely used term, I know at the store we sell the Garmin GLO which "gives" a true GPS signal to cell /smartphones, pads and laptops through a Bluetooth signal. From what I have learned cell phones use a particular kind of GPS called "Assisted GPS" (AGPS), and there are several levels of assistance used but not a true stand alone GPS receiver but a GPS chip.

MK MGOBL

turkey_slayer

Quote from: MK M GOBL on February 14, 2016, 06:57:34 PM

To the best of my knowledge and not to say this is wrong... and my phone also has "GPS" also... but there are many forms of said GPS... It is a very widely used term, I know at the store we sell the Garmin GLO which "gives" a true GPS signal to cell /smartphones, pads and laptops through a Bluetooth signal. From what I have learned cell phones use a particular kind of GPS called "Assisted GPS" (AGPS), and there are several levels of assistance used but not a true stand alone GPS receiver but a GPS chip.

MK MGOBL
How is it any different if it tracks you with no service? I can even view how many satellites are in view and in use. How is it different than a dedicated gps unit? Notice I'm in airplane model with all service cut off. Even gives gps coordinates and altitude

MK M GOBL

Quote from: turkey_slayer on February 14, 2016, 07:40:27 PM
Quote from: MK M GOBL on February 14, 2016, 06:57:34 PM

MK MGOBL
How is it any different if it tracks you with no service? I can even view how many satellites are in view and in use. How is it different than a dedicated gps unit? Notice I'm in airplane model with all service cut off. Even gives gps coordinates and altitude

Hmmm you might have me with that, I don't think I have ever seen that screen on my cell... If it's not an App it looks like GPS.

MK M GOBL

357MAGNOLE

What apps are you fellas running for IPhone?
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."--Thomas Jefferson

turkey_slayer

Quote from: 357MAGNOLE on February 14, 2016, 08:15:21 PM
What apps are you fellas running for IPhone?
Apple is communist when it comes to their apps. They finally allowed you to use your gps in airplane mode. GAIA is one my buddy uses and it's just like my backcountry navigator. I think it's $20 in the app store but does work with no signal. There's one other map but I can't think of it right off hand. If I do I will post it