News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

NWTF 2016 HUNTING CALL RESULTS

Started by REBELYELL, February 12, 2016, 12:05:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ol bob

Quote from: strutnrut on February 20, 2016, 07:18:22 PM
I bet a brand new turkey call that the calls in question a MACHINE was used at some point. Red Apple or Green Apple it's still an Apple.
That's what I'm saying Richard a lot of the people don't understand if you use a foot power lathe or drill press  its still a machine

slicksbeagles1

I must have went to a different school because there is a difference In putting a block of material in a machine and it spit out a turkey call. Than using it just to produce one piece and the real custom call makers still use hand tools. Ignorance is bliss!

stone road turkey calls

Stone Road Turkey Calls / Gary Taylor
2013 Norseman 3rd place pot call
2013 Grand national 6th place pot call
2014 Midwest 3rd place pot call
2015 Midwest 5th place HM Tube call

mwr

I sure do like buying turkey calls from all you Great Callmakers and hunting this GREAT bird!!! :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

strutnrut

How many custom callmaker you know that only use a hammer and chisel to hew out a box call. I use a bandsaw,drillpress,beltsander and a lot of sandpaper. An only consider myself a callmaker who builds a tool used by some to kill turkeys.

The Woodsman

Think about it,
Typing X, Y, Z coordinates into a CNC control or if you have the program saved you just call up a raspy longbox program.
Push a button.
Have a coffee, post a call on eBay while taking a dump all while the call is being "manufactured"

Or the guy who is actually laying out on the block of wood where the checkering will go, the screw hole and how deep the hole should be, what the radius of the rails should be.... All laid out. Go take a dump, they have to do it too BUT when they are done they pick up where they left off.
These true craftsmen can then tune the call, to make most any of them into a good sounding call.

The CNC manufactured calls that make the grade (1 out 100?) get set aside for contests or buddies, the rest get sold to the public online because the market is there.

I understand that machines are used by both but the difference here is the (CNC) computer numeric control -  automated operation of a machine by a computer program. With this type of technology, anyone can press the start button and produce a call. Anyone. How tough could that be?? Hey Martha, you are running sycamore shortbox calls from 9 til 11..... I have a hunt planned.

This is where the issue lies, anyone can go into a CNC shop and produce as good of a call as the person who is selling their calls as custom, where is the custom? The true callmakers shop this cannot be done as theirs is a skilled profession.
Ask a CNC operator to go into a true callmakers shop and produce as good of a call as said true callmakers standard, it cannot be done.
Ask a true callmaker to go into a CNC shop and make a call, it's as easy as pushing the start button.

I wonder how many calls get thrown away by either.....

slicksbeagles1

Thanks Woodsman that is exactly my point in a nut shell.

The Woodsman

No problem.

Richard, your calls are works of art and I would rather pay you for your learned skills than pay for the technology in a CNC machine.

I value skilled/learned hand-crafted like yourself far above that of a button pusher.

Denny

strutnrut

Thanks Denny. Besides my wife is to cheap to buy a CNC  :TooFunny:

mwr

greentag

Quote from: strutnrut on February 20, 2016, 11:04:14 PM
Thanks Denny. Besides my wife is to cheap to buy a CNC  :TooFunny:
you neverknow,they may a progam to spit out shoes and purses,she may fork over enough for you to have one then;D

Roughneck

Well I've set back an an read all these comments and just want to set the record straight the box calls that won at Nashville that placed first by callmakers that have been named in this thread where not in anyway made with a CNC I know this for a fact. To say that is pure crazy as far as the mishap all you have to do is go back an look at the score sheet of the calls that won and the calls that placed score sheets do not lie. Human era happens that's what happened in this case it's that simple.  I was there I ran the calls anyone could have won was a lot of good box calls there. But for some of the comments that have been made are totally crazy. In a nut shell weather it's me or anyother call maker who enters calls if you don't win or place guess what build a better call next time it's that simple. You win with grace you lose with grace.  As far as how someone chooses to build a call it's there decision but I can assure you the winning calls were not CNC machined.  If a person can afford better equipment than someone else then so be it who cares the end result is what we strive for that's a call that will kill birds bottom line. But as far as the rest goes if somebody has an issue with another call maker don't put them on blast on here before you know the facts as to what happend or how they build a call with out knowing the facts.  Like I said you win with grace you lose with grace. I know for facts there are others on here who use what I use to build calls some have even posted on this thread. I can assure you a turkey doesn't care what you build a call out of last I checked.   If you can't be happy for someone's accomplishments that they earned that's on you.  But I know the time and work that goes into building a call and it does not consist of punching in numbers in a computer an sitting back and 5 mins later a call pops out far from it. 

boatpaddle

Why is it, that makers of turkey calls place sooooooooo much value on the results of a contest from a 3 day show in Nashville ???

Every year after this show, it's always fussing and arguments about who won....Why do 5 judges carry so much weight in their opinion of a calls sound in the hunting aspect of callmaking??

You folks that build calls, do it for one MAIN reason......For us to buy your call & call in turkeys, not to please judges at Nashville...

You continue to build calls year after year, after Nashville is over......

How many callmakers quit building calls, because of the results of Nashville ????

Most just strive to build a better sounding call for next years ordeal at Nashville or quit sending calls down there to be judged....

Every callmaker with a website, has pictures of dead turkeys & testimonials of how well their calls work from guys like you & me.....Not judges from the Nashville show.... :o

PS: The turkeys don't care, how the calls are made.....The website pictures prove that :newmascot:

Recognize
Adapt
Overcome

The Woodsman

boatpaddle

Quote from: The Woodsman on February 21, 2016, 08:29:29 AM
It's called prestige...

Denny,

What worth or value is prestige, if the judging is so poor, biased, & corrupt as many claim it to be ???

For trophies & ribbons made in china? :TooFunny:
Recognize
Adapt
Overcome