turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Definition of Custom Call?

Started by RemingtonRules, February 04, 2016, 09:05:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RemingtonRules

Seems like what defines an actual custom call is pretty loose these days.  I guess I am a literal kind of guy.  Custom means I had a hand in determining the surface, color/wood, tone I want, etc..  I draw the line if you are in one of the box store catalogs you are no longer custom.

No point to all this, just ready to shoot a turkey in the head.

turkeywhisperer935

I may be wrong but I think what most of these guys mean by custom call is they are totally made by hand with higher grade materials and are tuned a different way than the bigger companies like knight and Hale or primos. Not knocking these companies cause I use some of their stuff but I think that may be the difference.

Last Strut Calls

I hand turn all my pot calls and strikers one at a time on my lathe. I cut and mill some of the wood I make calls out of, but not all of it because I use a large variety of exotics and domestic species. The only part of my calls that I don't make is the slate, glass, aluminum, etc.. Not sure how a pot call can get more custom then that! Adding on the custom aspect, many call makers, including myself, offer a large variety of woods and wood combinations, and I think that adds on to the custom part as a customer can select whatever wood and surface they would like, making it an extra special call. Also, most custom calls are a fraction of the price compared to the ones you'd find in large stores and are crafted much better and sound more realistic. In my opinion, when calls are made by a CNC they are no longer custom.
Just my .02

turkeywhisperer935

Sanatorium

Could never understand one calling a cnc call a custom call...

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Gooserbat

Maybe some people have a hard time distinguishing custom and premium from one another.  Not all custom calls are a premium product and neither are all premium calls custom. 
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

MK M GOBL

Quote from: Gooserbat on February 05, 2016, 04:07:55 AM
Maybe some people have a hard time distinguishing custom and premium from one another.  Not all custom calls are a premium product and neither are all premium calls custom.

100% Right on the money there! I have seen a lot of calls that are in my definition "pretty" and that's fine for collecting but don't have the "performance" behind them...(I don't pick pretty I pick performance).

MK M GOBL

davisd9

There are a bunch of "custom" call makers and not all of them can make a good call. There are also quite a few custom call makers that use a CNC machine.

Sent from the Strut Zone
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

boatpaddle

100% Right on the money there! I have seen a lot of calls that are in my definition "pretty" and that's fine for collecting but don't have the "performance" behind them...(I don't pick pretty I pick performance).

I work to hard to pay for eye candy without the performance aspect, that sits on a shelf.... :character0029:

I'll take ugly, that sounds turkey any day.... :icon_thumright:

Recognize
Adapt
Overcome

silvestris

If one can get pretty with sound, so much the better.  The word custom is rather elitist to me.  And I certainly have no problem with elitism.  I would hunt with any caller that made the sound I was seeking no matter what the materials or how much personal detail went into the caller.  Pretty is as pretty does.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

ol bob

"Custom" means making something to the customers spec. what type machine you make it on makes no difference if you own the CNC machine program it and run its just another machine you are a call maker if you buy a pot from someone else you are not making it you are assembling it big difference when you make 100 of the same calls even though you make them they are no longer custom its more of a production run. If you make 100 pots all different they are custom. That was how it was explained to me over 50 years ago I can't see how it would be different today

spurman

Definition of Custom Call is a call made to a particular customer's order. Jmo
Spring turkey hunting, I love it so.                FREEDOM IS NOT FREE

dirt road ninja

If I can text or call the person that made it and talk about the call with him that's custom enough for me.

Greg Massey

If i buy one of those put together slate or glass pot kit's off ebay and put it together is that a custom call..?

J-Shaped

Quote from: Greg Massey on February 05, 2016, 11:18:21 AM
If i buy one of those put together slate or glass pot kit's off ebay and put it together is that a custom call..?

That depends on whether the kit was purchased from a custom call maker  ;D