turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Food Plot

Started by laker, January 12, 2016, 06:40:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

laker

Who has a food plot they plant specifically for the animals they hunt? (Deer or Turkey). Im looking into starting up my first food plot this spring and wonder what are the DO's and DONT'S. Probably going to start a clover plot and maybe some chufa's. Something that will appear to my bird visitors as well as my four legged friends. If you have pics of your plots and what you are growing please post them up. :turkey2:

bbcoach

I plant for my deer and turkey.  The QDMA website has a forum that talks about food plotting with plenty of information.  Here's the link www.qdma.com/forums.  I've got some PICS of my food plots that are too big to post here.  PM me and we'll chat.   Good Luck with your project.

jwhunter

get a soil test, chufa is hard to establish, but its awesome when done right

Britton40

Soil test now. Bush hog and plow asap. Add recommended lime asap. Round up any weeds a month prior to planting. Bush hog. Spraying for weeds when you plant is crucial. I used Treflan. My two plots did very well. I planted the first week in June here in SC.

laker

From my research the clovers seem to be the easiest to have success in growing. Worse comes to worse and the chufa's i plant do not have great success, then i'm hoping the clovers will atleast take off and i will still have a nice plot. I have an area I was working on clearing up right before our weather began falling off. The next day off i have that is warmer than 20-30 i will most definitely begin the project.