turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Longbeard XR #6

Started by WNCTracker, January 09, 2016, 08:26:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WNCTracker

I grew up shooting #4's but switched to #5's with the 3.5" longbeards since they came out. Now I'm considering #6's. Can anybody tell me why I shouldn't go to 6's?  Experienced Opinions?

silvestris

I use them.  Gonna have to open my choke up a bit though, missed my first in a long time last year at 20 yards.  They throw a really tight pattern.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

WNCTracker

Bummer on the miss!  Are you saying the 6's pattern tighter than the 5's at 20 yards? 

Happy

Personally if I could get the fives to pattern well I would use them. I like the energy down range better. 6's start to loose steam at 40 yards or so. I believe in overkill tho.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Gobble!

If I used lead I would use #6s.

dirt road ninja

Like you, I started out shooting 4's & 5's lead shot. I've killed more with lead 5's than any other shot type/size. Never shooting the Longbeards, I'd probably give the 6's a try based off of what I've seen posted as far as pattern density goes. Keep in mind your still using lead and the smaller the shot x longer the range = the faster you better go and put your boot on a flopping bird. As I stated I've never tried the shells in question, so keep that in mind. I will say that I can't remember killing a bird with lead that didn't flop. Since going to HTL many have hit the ground without a flop.

kyturkeyhunter4

I've had great luck using Longbear Xr #6 shot, I've uses them for two years now with no problems at all. I would go with #6 if I had to pick.

wvlimbhanger

I like the extra weight of #5 over #6 but with a 3 1/2in gun the #6s would more than make up for that with # of pellets hitting at 40 yards.

I doubt a gobbler 40 yards and in would be able to tell the difference either.

WNCTracker

This was my best pattern with #5's at 35 or 40 yards. It's good. Just wandering if 6's be awesome

Greg Massey

I've killed a lot of turkeys with Federal 3 in. 2 oz. number 5 shot....it's hard to beat that shell in a 12 ga.

WNCTracker

Let me rephrase my question:  if you shot 194 #5's at 40 in 10" would you still go to a #6?  I can only afford one box and I'm going to buy a box of either 5 or 6 and can't decided.  Thanks for comments!

dirt road ninja

Quote from: johnplesh on January 11, 2016, 03:33:24 PM
Let me rephrase my question:  if you shot 194 #5's at 40 in 10" would you still go to a #6?  I can only afford one box and I'm going to buy a box of either 5 or 6 and can't decided.  Thanks for comments!

194 with 5's is strong. Stay

paboxcall

Quote from: dirt road ninja on January 11, 2016, 03:56:22 PM

194 with 5's is strong. Stay

:agreed:
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

Gobble!

Still give me #6s

silvestris

I would not shoot one past 35 yards intentionally, so I prefer the extra pellets over added energy.  Just me.  I wish the manufacturers would quit touting extended range.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game