OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Non-camo hunting attire

Started by jakesdad, December 31, 2015, 12:35:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jakesdad

Seems I find myself more and more just wearing khaki/brown carhartt pants and a bottomland or trebark shirt when i'm hunting(plus gloves and mask). Anybody else out there that turkey hunts without being dressed head to toe in the latest and greatest? Got any pics post em up!

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

jepcho

I've done it in blue jeans and a camp jacket, but only because I spotted some birds on my way home from work and that's all I had with me. I know it can be done, I've just been picked out by birds so many time that I felt like I was camouflaged in really well that I want every advantage I can get. :) But more power to you. If you can limit you movement, that's the biggest thing anyways.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Izzyjoe

Call me crazy, but this up coming season I'm Gona hunt dressed up like my granddad,at least one day! Just to say I did it, he wore faded bib overalls and a well worn flannel shirt, and a grey fadora hat. And I'll be packing my Rem 11. I may get laughed out of the woods, but if I'm lucky I may kill one!

ShortSpurs

I can remember granddad turkey hunting in blue bibs and a red/black plaid shirt. Nothing escaped his dbl. bbl 10 ga.

silvestris

A dark gray that blends in with a tree trunk is all you need.  Hands and face need some kind of cover.  You must remain motionless.  I wish someone made hunting clothes like that so I wouldn't look like I just came out of a danged video.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

VaTuRkStOmPeR

Back in granddad's day there weren't millions of turkey hunters taking to the woods yelping and squawking at them incessantly. 

Turkeys are a lot more keen to their surroundings and notice incongruent shapes now more than ever.  Not a chance you'll ever find me working a bird in anything else other than full camo.

Greg Massey

Camo doesn't really matter ..it's movement that gives you away...i was hunting in Mo. one time and i walk up on a guy who had blue jean overalls on and a green tee shirt and was carrying a huge gobbler and his gun was a single barrel 16 ga... i was deck out from head to toe in tree bark camo and he as me were i got all that camo and that nice remington shotgun...lol

larry9988

I still use the same head net and gloves I bought in 1987. I wear an old pair of camo coveralls that are ripped and torn and have been repaired many times. I hunting magazine came and did an article on me and my call making several years ago. The author took several pictures of some of my calls and then wanted a staged picture of me in my camo like I was hunting. When I came out in my old camo the the guy asked me if that was all I had. He took a few pictures of me in my "costume" but none of the pictures made it into the magazine. I still wear the same camo to this day because it suits me just fine and pretty in the woods just ain't necessary. I certainly don't look like I just stepped out of the L.L.Bean catalog. I think my head net is original treebark pattern if that tells you how old it is.

catman529

That bottomland or trebark is pretty good camo so I wouldn't say you aren't wearing camo lol. I am more lax on the camo when deer hunting but usually more thoroughly covered with turkey hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mudhen

Never confuse "need" with "want"....

I need little...want much...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

ShortSpurs

Yup,

all good points.

Wear that mask & gloves and don't move.

saltysenior

for the serious turkey hunter to be successful , one must dress in his LUCKY hat ,mask,jacket,shirt,pants,boots,and socks...even underwear.... very few times they all match.. sometimes parts are not even camo...:anim_65:

jwhunter

camo is not needed. sometimes I wear brown or green carhartts and and camo shirt.

Waynesworld23

I killed my best bird ever last year wearing old bdu pants and a grey sweatshirt. I was checking my cameras last year he gobbled one his own midday so I found a tree and worked him with a mouth call with no mask or gloves eaither just sat real still
To give anything less then your best is to sacrifice the gift

OldSchool

I've killed some birds without the use of camo, but I tend to hide a little better when I'm not wearing it. Whether I need to or not, it makes me feel better.

None of my hunting equipment is the latest and greatest. Same old woodland pattern camo I've worn for years, same old gun and shells, same old reliable calls. Maybe I just need to get off the mountain more often. ;D

Bob
Call 'em close, It's the most fun you'll ever have doing the right thing.