OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Why Don't You Hunt in the Fall?

Started by donjuan, October 08, 2015, 07:31:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redmag

My brother and I still hunt them in the fall here in WV.  I think most folks don't bother because they prefer bowhunting deer.  Also, hunting fall birds involves a lot of walking up until you get tired and then set back against a big tree for a nap.  Had to come out early today...there is not much feed here, no acorns, grapes, dogwoods, or gums.

30_06

No season here, besides I'm too busy with elk, deer, bear, upland birds, and if I'm real lucky a moose.

Cove

Quote from: chcltlabz on October 09, 2015, 08:03:58 AM
Its not the same hunt to me.  I want that bird gobbling, spitting, drumming, drooling all over himself coming in looking for love.  That's what gets my motor running for turkeys.  I never got the same enjoyment out of fall hunting.  Yes, a busted flock calling all over the place can be great fun, but its not the same thing.

Yes, you can target longbeards in the fall, but its like hunting silent toms in the spring.  Just not as much of a thrill.  So as long as there are other things to hunt in the fall, that's where I'll be.

^^this

I can't come to peace with shooting a hen turkey. And I don't have the desire the shoot a gobbler that's not participating in his mating ritual. So I waste the fall hunting deer and waterfowl. I do play with turkeys in the fall, just don't have the desire to kill them.

Happy

I believe I would enjoy fall hunting,however with a wife and three kids my time is very limited and we eat a lot of deer meat. We make bologna and sausage as well so it takes a few deer to get us thru the year. Hunting two states I don't have a problem getting them but I am lucky to get to hunt one day a week. I have called them in in terms fall but never killed one. Hopefully when the kids are out of the house I can get the chance.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

mudhen

Zero interest....

I just don't feel the need to chase down and kill everything in the game book...

Of course it helps that here in California, we turkey hunt late-March through most of May....deer hunt July -Oct, waterfowl hunt Sept - February!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

ferocious calls

Love to hunt fall gobbler. Find them alone on the roost and they may let you call them in like springtime. They may even gobble for you. Finding more than one on the roost has been the key for me.

crow

I like hunting fall turkeys, calling and hearing turkeys is fun no matter when. it's also a chance to get hen wingbones.
I also like archery hunting the rut, it's a fun time to call bucks in

I did have a particular tom kick my butt in the spring for a couple years in a row on public ground in western Md.
because he beat me in the spring (more than once), out of respect for that bird I didn't want to kill him in the fall, and I didn't hunt his area for a few years after that in the fall, hoping he would make it till spring.

VaTuRkStOmPeR

Dead hens don't breed and turkey numbers are on the decline in the majority of places.

eddie234

Here in WV I only get a week to fall hunt. Unless I take vacation days that would only give me one day (Saturday). Just doesn't seem worth it. Guess I'd rather be in a tree stand looking for deer.

crow

Quote from: VaTuRkStOmPeR on October 25, 2015, 09:09:12 AM
Dead hens don't breed and turkey numbers are on the decline in the majority of places.

some places like central Maine have a high winter mortality rate to start with so only so many are going to make it thru to spring.

also that area has enough turkeys that it keeps some of the farmers po'd , they want hunters keeping the numbers managed

western Md. where I also hunt is a different story on hen population

paboxcall

Quote from: cowhornyelper on October 08, 2015, 08:27:42 PM
I hunt in the spring because I can.  I hunt in the fall because I've done it for 65+ years and I love it!  If you can scatter a group of old gobblers it is truly a challenge to get one of these old birds that is not 'looking for love' to come to your call.  They will come one step at a time and look at every tree, stump, branch, limb, etc, etc.  Then they will stop at 65 yards and just stare at you. Takes real patience and a lot of work.  It's not like listening for a gobble and going to it.  These old guys don't grow long beards by running thru the wood in the fall gobbling!  I still like the spring, but having a group of younger birds getting together, yelping and talking to 'momma' is something that everyone should hear.  Good thing is that here in Virginia most of the fall hunters are after deer.  Not many after turkey.

Don't forget to mention how an old gobbler in the fall can step behind a tree at 75 yards and never come out the other side.

They just flat disappear sometimes!   :z-dizzy:
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

M,Yingling

man I like getting out chase some fall birds been doing it since was a kid  ,,granted nothing like havin that old long beard strutting and gobbling in the spring ,,, but just as exciting breaking up a flock and having all them birds just yelpin and callin ,,, or caliing that old hen in with a flock of 25 0r 30  birds in tow and being surrounded by birds 15 yrds out  just waiting put one down ,,, plus if your lucky here in pa later in season my be little snow on ground by thanksgiving
Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

tomstopper

Love hunting fall birds but here in my area in NY & PA the bird population has taken a huge hit due to last winter so I have decided to let them be this year as to let their numbers hopefully regenerate. Maybe next year things will change and I can chase them again in the fall.

nativeks

I used to hunt them a lot. When our turkey numbers plummeted I backed off the fall hunting. Starting to see them rebound so I may buy a tag and got after them. They are hitting one of my food plots daily. I am a waterfowling freak in the fall though, so they wouldn't get my full attention even if I pick it up again.

jepcho

I enjoy fall hunting, although I dont always get out every year.  I have a tag this year and havent had a chance to get out.  But I have 14 of the next 16 days off, so that is about to change.