OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Confederate Flag LIL NIBBLER.....

Started by pappy, July 20, 2015, 11:11:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pappy

A couple folks on here asked me about making a call with the Confederate Flag on it, and last night i finished up on this one. I painted the flag in a folksie form and roughed it up to make it look old and tattered, the back says "BATTLE WORN BUT NEVER DEFEATED" again it is roughed up to look old. I have no problem with the honoring of the men who fought for and lost their lives for a cause they believed in and for a country they loved. The words NEVER DEFEATED is due to the fact that their hearts will always hold true to their cause, so history will always be history....
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206

vaturkey

Vaturkey

silvestris

Looks a little racist to me.  Even though New England seriously considered seceding from the Union in the early 1800s without anyone accusing them of treason, for some reason it was a treasonous idea to the people of New England in 1861.  Go figure.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

mgm1955

FL-Boss

Bla Bla Bla...here we go.  Of course someone needs to drag race into the conversation. 

Thank you for posting this Pappy - you are a true artist.

kyturkeyhunter4

greentag

looks good to me,ive grew up in the south my whole life,always had confederate flags,still do,never has it been a race thing.the people who who nitpick everyone else for what they are doing are the real racist.good work pappy.

tomstopper

silvestris

You combat the white guilt thing by calling everything "racist" from the confederate flag to Kool Aid until the word no longer has any meaning.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

catdaddy

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Jbird22

Quote from: FL-Boss on July 22, 2015, 10:25:19 AM
Bla Bla Bla...here we go.  Of course someone needs to drag race into the conversation. 

Thank you for posting this Pappy - you are a true artist.
Don't let the first sentence of his post fool you. That was a setup in pointing out why it was no big deal when a certain group of Yanks wanted to secede from the Union but totally opposite for Southern folks.

Cool work as always Pappy! You certainly have a gift!

english professor

The UNITED States have supported the partition of Pakistan and India, supported (at tremendous cost) the Republic of South Vietnam maintaining a separation from their North, dominated the separation of South and North Korea on the side of that South, supported the separatists on Taiwan against mainland China, supported Hong Kong retaining a separate identity from China, supported Israel separating from and being carved from the former state of Palestine, and so-on throughout history.  We support all over the world the notion that a people or state may separate from the larger country or group.  Not so with the Southern States desiring to separate from the United States.  It was, quite simply, the Southern States, possessed of an arguably different culture, different economy, largely different heritage, desiring to freely leave an association of states to which they had previously, under different circumstances, with a different population, freely joined.  How can the greater government bring force of arms against the right of sovereign states to secede?  It's not theoretically justifiable.

Had I been alive in the South prior to and during the brief secession of the Confederate states, I would have fought and gladly died for the right of the states to secede.  I would not have owned nor would I have supported slavery.  I would not have fought for slavery.  My flag or flags during that secession would not necessarily connote then nor now any sympathy for slavery and, by extension, racism.

I don't fly the Confederate Battle Flag or wear t-shirts or bandanas that may offend anyone - though they themselves who are offended or threatened have no valid historical reason to perceive any such flag as "racist."  Surely, a rendering of the Battle Flag on a turkey call is no threat or message or no more than a respectful gesture to history, to tradition, to a noble but lost Cause, and to the very same freedom of expression that eventually led to emancipation and a full enjoyment of rights as citizens by the very persons who now protest disingenuously and proclaim the Battle Flag to be a racist symbol.  If anything, the Flag is a symbol of people all over the world desiring independence from an unpleasant and unhealthy association or domination by a larger country.  Anyone recall our own War of INDEPENDENCE against being under the control of Great Britain?  "Give me freedom or give me death" bring anything to mind?

Leave the turkey call alone.  Let it be.  Move on.  We all have, after all, the freedom of expression - even in the form of a turkey call.

dirtnap

Quote from: english professor on July 26, 2015, 09:04:41 PM
The UNITED States have supported the partition of Pakistan and India, supported (at tremendous cost) the Republic of South Vietnam maintaining a separation from their North, dominated the separation of South and North Korea on the side of that South, supported the separatists on Taiwan against mainland China, supported Hong Kong retaining a separate identity from China, supported Israel separating from and being carved from the former state of Palestine, and so-on throughout history.  We support all over the world the notion that a people or state may separate from the larger country or group.  Not so with the Southern States desiring to separate from the United States.  It was, quite simply, the Southern States, possessed of an arguably different culture, different economy, largely different heritage, desiring to freely leave an association of states to which they had previously, under different circumstances, with a different population, freely joined.  How can the greater government bring force of arms against the right of sovereign states to secede?  It's not theoretically justifiable.

Had I been alive in the South prior to and during the brief secession of the Confederate states, I would have fought and gladly died for the right of the states to secede.  I would not have owned nor would I have supported slavery.  I would not have fought for slavery.  My flag or flags during that secession would not necessarily connote then nor now any sympathy for slavery and, by extension, racism.

I don't fly the Confederate Battle Flag or wear t-shirts or bandanas that may offend anyone - though they themselves who are offended or threatened have no valid historical reason to perceive any such flag as "racist."  Surely, a rendering of the Battle Flag on a turkey call is no threat or message or no more than a respectful gesture to history, to tradition, to a noble but lost Cause, and to the very same freedom of expression that eventually led to emancipation and a full enjoyment of rights as citizens by the very persons who now protest disingenuously and proclaim the Battle Flag to be a racist symbol.  If anything, the Flag is a symbol of people all over the world desiring independence from an unpleasant and unhealthy association or domination by a larger country.  Anyone recall our own War of INDEPENDENCE against being under the control of Great Britain?  "Give me freedom or give me death" bring anything to mind?

Leave the turkey call alone.  Let it be.  Move on.  We all have, after all, the freedom of expression - even in the form of a turkey call.

dirtnap