turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Custom box calls

Started by PASTRUTTER21, June 16, 2015, 08:30:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PASTRUTTER21

I would like to know your guys thoughts and opinions on what u think the best selection and combination of woods for a custom short box call.

davisd9

Jatoba/poplar, Jatoba/holly, Purpleheart/poplar, Maple/Spanish Cedar, Maple/Butternut

Sent from the Strut Zone
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

mgm1955

Yellowheart/black limba, bloodwood/black limba, walnut/walnut are some great combos

eddie234

I've got a Purple Heart over cherry and a cherry over butter nut

hunter22

I ask Lamar Williams this same question recently and his answer was walnut over mahogany. Hard to argue with that choice. I also really like the sound of walnut over walnut if done right. I hunt maple over mahogany and walnut over mineral poplar short boxes as much as any I own.

Britton40

Walnut over mahogany, yellow poplar, or butternut.  My $.02

Moore

I like maple /mahogany, but talk to the call maker. On what they got to say on the combination, for the sound you are looking for.
[

M Sharpe

I'm not a Christian because I'm strong and have it all together. I'm a Christian because I'm weak and admit I need a Saviour!

TauntoHawk

Most call makers have a few combos they really like working with so it depends who from. I have two mineral poplar boxes from SS one with a yellowheart lid and the other Paduak and they are both straight killers but Al can build a ton of killer combos. Frank Kruer really likes persimmon over black limba or butternut and bloodwood over butternut on long boxes.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>