turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

2015 Spring Recap!

Started by hermiehunter, June 10, 2015, 08:41:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hermiehunter

It's not often that my brother or I post on here, even though we each spend time each day reading and catching up on others from OG.  When you share a passion with others as we do, it's the next best thing to being out on the road or in the woods...

The spring of 2015 was a personal best for my brother and I, so I felt it should be shared!  Between the two of us, we visited and were successful in 5 states this spring with 3 of those being new territories!  Let's face it, we would like to hunt every day that there's a season open, but juggling our obsession alongside work, our families, and other responsibilities, we are only afforded a certain amount of time to do the thing we love so dearly...

With that said, our spring started in late March in south Florida, where we were both able to take nice Osceolas!  This was a first for me, while my brother already had one under his belt.

Then, in early April my brother and another good friend visited a new tract of public ground in TN!  While they were only there for a long weekend, there was no shortage of success!  My brother was able to take two nice TN gobblers, while his buddy took one himself...

Next up was our home season here in NC!  We spent the month of April hunting with friends and family on our home turf and were blessed again here.  Both of us were able to tag out in the first couple of weeks, so we spent the remainder of the season hunting with friends & family...and gearing up for Kansas and Nebraska!

Oh...and my second bird in NC turned out to be very memorable!  I was able to take a gobbler that I had seen off and on now for two springs.  I watched him as a poult, growing into a jake, and now this year as a mature gobbler.  I only got to lay eyes on him twice this spring, and I was able to capitalize on the second sighting!

Both of my brother's birds from NC were public land...and the second bird was a really nice one!

Here's mine:

Next up was Kansas!  We left NC Friday May 8 at lunchtime.  Drove the remainder of the day and all night, headed for the WIHA properties that my brother had located in the Atlas.  With little to no sleep, we arrived at daybreak to the first walk-in hunting area.  Our plan for Saturday was to scout and hopefully locate birds to hunt on Sunday.  However, we ran into a group of 4 strutters with a dozen or so hens and several jakes at 9:00 am.  Shortly thereafter, the group of 4 was now a duo!  Both of the gobblers we killed were around 1-3/8" limbhangers.

Day 2 in KS we learned about what rain does to the "black" roads!  The morning hunt was postponed due to inaccessible roads pretty much everywhere.  We spent the remainder of that day scouting for more birds, which we were able to locate that afternoon.

Day 3 my brother tagged out early that morning, and I got my second bird at 10:30 on another WIHA.  Unfortunately, with 40 mph winds, picture taking can be a challenge.  Especially when you are using cell phones with no tripod or photographer!

By lunchtime on Monday we were headed to Nebraska!  We had planned to go up to Pine Ridge, but a phone call to the folks at the station up there informed us that they had 18" of snow and the roads were all but impassable.  Given that, we decided to stay out of the snow, so we hit a public land atlas online and came up with a new plan.  It ended up being a great plan, as we found the public land and got into birds immediately!

We spent the next several days around that area and were able to punch a few more tags before another buddy joined us for the weekend!

After Lance arrived, he wasted no time joining in on the fun!

And with that, our spring was over.  As others have said on here many times...there's no way to give each hunt justice.  It would take far too long to share all of the details on the forum, and even then I don't think you can tell the stories the way they need to be told.

Like I said in the beginning, I just wanted to share a recap of our spring 2015.  It was memorable to say the least!  Great hunting, safe travels, good friends, and blessings to be able to do what we love!  Hopefully 2016 will constitute another post like this...

hermiehunter

My wife's birds from NC:

A few more pics from along the way...

A good sign from my trail cam here in NC!

crow

good job on a full spring season, nice pics

Gooserbat

Looks good to me. Congrats!
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

cramerhunts

Congratulations to you all on some fantastic birds and incredible spring! I can definitely see why you say the one bird was memorable for you, that is very cool and unique. Great pictures and recap to your great season. Way to go!

870FaceLift

Great season!  Congrats on the many successful hunts.  Pics are awesome!
Pass it on...

TrackeySauresRex

"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

GSLAM95

Very Nice, congratulations to everyone as that is a memorable season indeed!

Apologizing:  does not always mean you are wrong and the other person is right. 
It just means that you value your relationship more than your ego.

NCYelper

Congratulations!  Awesome season!

backwater

Very nice season.  Enjoyed all the photos.

jepcho

Congrats on an incredible season. I love the white bird! I want one!

datrip

Congrats on a super fine season....from the kills, the white gobbler, and earning a Single Season Slam. I came up an Osceola short. What part of NC are you in....I am in the NW....south of Boone?
Whatever is over my head is under His feet.
Member of the Tenth Legion since 2007

hermiehunter

Thanks for the kind comments everyone.

The south Florida hunt was a first for us. We went through Swamp Gobbler Outfitters! Ben and Charlie were great guys and we enjoyed the trip a lot. This was a first for us, doing a guided hunt, but I decided to go that route this year. I tried public walk-in quota a few years ago at Green Swamp East and wasn't able to make anything happen. Now that I have an Osceola under my belt, I have plans to get back down there somewhere for a public land FL gobbler.

We are in Rutherford county. Not too far from you datrip!

Snoodsniper

Real nice recap. Looks you all were blessed. Congrats

Turkeyman

Can't have a season much better than that! Congratulations on the birds and also the quality pictures. Taking very good pictures requires some thought.