OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Ocellated hunt...

Started by sixbird, June 08, 2015, 09:17:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LI Outdoorsman

My main focus was completing the slam so of course I tried for my turkey first and that took a while.I killed mine on the 3rd morning so that left 2 days of hunting for other species.We generally didnt hunt past 10 am because of the heat...by then your pretty well cooked and dehydratred and we couldnt wait to get back to the river to cool down and drink a few cold ones.They served us lunch at the river..it took about 2 hours to get our body temps down to a comfortable level.
The other birds are hunted as the opportunity arrises as you work your way through the jungle.
The guides are experts at deciphering bird calls from all the other sounds in the morning and will lead you directly to your intended target.

sixbird

Man, you got me all wound up about this stuff!
I hope it works out...
Somebody mentioned about those little creatures that crawl up where NOBODY wants them...Are they there?

sixbird

How about poisonous critters? Would snake boots be something to have?
And the guns...What do they use? I'm used to fine tuning everything and shooting heads. Sounds like they just "wing it?"

LI Outdoorsman

We didnt encounter any snakes but I'm sure they got a bunch lurking around there.Theres way more bugs and giant moths and beetles with the glowing eyes to worry about and every tree has thorns or spikes so be careful.As far as snake boots you probably would throw them in the river after the first day.....Way too hot..you will wear less and less clothes as the trip progresses..
They have guns that are ok but ammo was lacking...But its Mexico..from what we were told everything pertaining to guns is basically smuggled in..
Like I said this is not your conventional style turkey hunt

GSLAM95

The ocellated hunt can be done many different ways.  I chose the agricultural fields next to the thick jungle as I was bowhunting and prefer that over a roost shoot.  The deep jungle hunt would be an experience as well, especially for added species that can only be taken there but my focus was on the Ocellated turkey.
Plus the ability to see literally 100's of birds in a single flock in mid February is a sight I may never get the opportunity to witness ever again.
Yukkutz hunting now has the property in which I hunted and yes they have built a new lodge with much nicer accommodations than where I stayed but the hunting is incredible there especially in the early season when birds are still largely flocked up.
Here is a link to the video slide show I made from my trip back in February of 2010 from start to finish.
  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4MfGuY6W-g
Towards the end of the video there are several pics of the amount of birds in a large field.  Even with the #'s they have it is rare to see two flocks with over 200 birds in each come together into 1 field.
I am sure whichever hunt you choose it will be a most rewarding and memorable experience as that part of the world is a step back in time.  There is a deep history to the area and I hope that every turkey hunter who is on the fence about going makes the trip as it is one you will both appreciate and never regret.

Apologizing:  does not always mean you are wrong and the other person is right. 
It just means that you value your relationship more than your ego.

LI Outdoorsman

Wow awesome slide slide show..congrats on a great hunt.Brings back memories.. It must be something to see flocks like that.Deep in the jungle we only got glimpses of a single bird..Definitely a different hunt..when we were driving to the jungle and passing through all those farm areas i said to my wife i bet its good hunting in there! but we were going in deep as another hunter in our party had won his trip at a SCI event and had a bunch of tags for many species which I guess you can only get further in the jungle.Maybe one day if I'm fortunate enough to go back I would sure like to get one with my bow..its definitely looks to be a game rich environment!!
Its feels good to see so many birds as these hunts are becoming more popular and commercialized and that the populations seem healthy.

sixbird

LI...Did you wear bug suit while hunting? What kind of foot wear?

LI Outdoorsman

We wore very light low hikers..you wont want anything heavy...We did not wear the bug suits while hunting.Everything you bring should be light and airy.."tropical weight" clothing.

sixbird

Thanks man...I'm like a sponge about this stuff!

sixbird

Got an email from Jim Shockey regarding this hunt and outfitter. He was all praises!

LI Outdoorsman

Yes in fact Jim Shockey hunted with them around the week before we got there. I think they got his turkey kill on film and he shot a few different animals.

sixbird

He was really positive about the operation and said he planned on returning...That was encouraging along with the info. that you gave me, Rob...

LI Outdoorsman

I hope you go and have a great time...Take LOTS of pics!!

LI Outdoorsman

sixbird

Thanks Rob...I've been looking everywhere for the entire episode but can't find it anywhere. Maybe they'll rerun it on Sportsman Channel.