OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Crow call?

Started by wisconsinteacher, May 24, 2015, 04:22:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wisconsinteacher

What crow call would you get and why?

Hooks Synthetic

Gibson

Faulk's

WildTalker American Cherry Crow Call

WNY Bowhunter

I have the Hooks and use it nearly every hunt with great results. Many times I can shock a gobble out of a tightlipped longbeard when they simply ignore the real crows.
"I'm not from New Yawk.  I'm a REDNECK from Western New York!!!"
"It's not a passion. It's an OBSESSION."

TRG3

FYI...The first day of this year's Illinois first season found me hen yelping and gobbling to a tom some 200+ yards away for 20 minutes. He remained hung up in the woods until a crow flew over me, cawed, and I "shock gobbled" back, only to cause more crowing and more shock gobbling on my part. That did it for the hung up tom and he proceeded to come running across a 200 yard open field to my #5 shot. Maybe he though my shock gobbling to the cawing equaled a real bird. Anyway, just another thing that worked in the world of turkey hunting.

GobbleNut

Whichever one is the loudest is the one I would get....

catman529

Primos power crow with the rubber sleeve removed

Sent from the talk of tap

Greg Massey

I never use a crow call...if its time to use a crow call then I'm using my turkey calls.. I let nature and the crows take care of the rest...

BowBendr

Quote from: Greg Massey on May 24, 2015, 08:02:49 PM
I never use a crow call...if its time to use a crow call then I'm using my turkey calls.. I let nature and the crows take care of the rest...

I don't say never, but i'd say hardly ever. I agree, when I hear the 1st crow, i'm using a turkey call. When I do it's a modified primos power crow.

Sent by this stupid phone

Greg Massey

I agree..the reason I say never is because I don't have any of these type calls in my vest... crow,  owl etc...natural is the only way to go...  I fell if it sounds unnatural out in woods its not going to help you anyway...

pappy

Gotta chime in...turkeys hear crows, real crows...they know the difference and respond accordingly...this is why IF you decide to use a crow call as a shock call make sure it sounds like a real bird, practice it just like you would a turkey call, because you are trying to fool one of the wisest birds out there. heck out custom calls, with makers who crow hunt, these are the most likely to be more realistic...
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206

Greg Massey

Catman I'm surprised that you even carry a crow call... because I know you only carry one turkey call a wing bone..and I know you have said for about 2 years now you cant even find your walmart 5 dollar slate....

wisconsinteacher

Thanks for the help.  I wish I would have had one yesterday.  I had a bird that gobbled to everything but was with a hen and would not come in.  The woods where I was were very dry and loud.  I think I could have used the crow call to make him gobble, which in turn would have given me a split second here and there to move in on him and reset up. 

mgm1955

Talk to Pappy and look at Buckner calls. Both proven winners!

trb136

If you are going to use a Crow call Gibson hands down!  Chad Scruggs is the Grand National Champion and Darrell Gibson mentored him both are as real as you will get!

GobbleNut

First off, as has been stated many times before, there are not absolutes in turkey hunting.  There are definitely times and places where the use of crow calls,...or any other kind of locator call, for that matter,...are more effective than in others. 

I learned over four decades ago that locators are very effective where I hunt,...and crow calls are one of the most effective.  Since then, when I travel to other places, I always go through the process of finding out if locators will work in those places. 

Here's what I have found:
1) locators work everywhere,...just not as good in some locations as in others.  Also, there are some places where they will work in both the morning and evening (roost locating),...but there are some places where they will rarely work in the evening. 
2) the most important factor in any locator call, including crow calls, is the volume of the call, not the realism.  The one consistency I have found over the years is that turkeys will gobble back more often at a loud call than at a less-loud, but more realistic-sounding call.  I have witnessed this time and time again.  Loudness is absolutely more important than realism.
3)  there are usually some very specific windows of time in the morning,...and evening where they work,...that locators will be much more effective than outside of those times.
4) generally speaking, a hunter that knows how and when to use a locator call will, without question, find more gobblers to hunt,...and probably kill more of them,...than the hunter that does not. 

ncturkey

I have tons on crow calls. All on them sound different. Some sound like a real crow and some do not. My favorite crow call is a old Oak Crow Call I got from Darrell Gibson. It seems to get gobblers to gobble when my other crow calls do not. I do not know if it is the prefect crow sound it makes or the pitch of caller but gobblers love it. I have a few others that work as well. I have three other Gibsons. Also have a great sounding one from Michael Buckner. The best production calls I have are from Knight and Hale. The Knight and Hale ones are the old ones. I do have one Primos crow call. It sounds ok but does not get the birds to gobble for me like my custom call. I think I will try and modify it to see if I can get it to work better. One thing I would add to this topic is that crow calls have to be tuned. I tune my crow to get the best sound. I may even tune them while in the woods. I have noticed the the gobblers gobble better at the high pitch calls.  Good Luck in finding a good crow caller.