turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Winchester SXP reviews?

Started by jepcho, May 20, 2015, 06:43:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jepcho

Really wanting to get a new dedicated turkey gun before next year and see the winchester SXP turkey model can be bought for a pretty fair price.  I know very little about this gun and was wondering if anybody on here has any info about it.  I dont want to end up with a piece of junk so I am just wanting to do my research.  May end up just spending the money and get the Versa Max that I want..

Hooks' n' Beards'

my old man purchased the sxp turkey gun before the 2013 season,he has been to Oklahoma for Rio's,Florida for Osceola and tagged out all 3 years up here he has used it with toms.I like it,it shoulders great for me.For the price it makes a great turkey gun..i am waiting for the Long beard sxp to be released up here and i am buying one just for the pistol grip.I will say the finish isn't perfect but i like everything else about the gun...i use a gun as a tool so the finish isn't a killer for me....I am excited for the Long beard sxp to get released,talking to bass pro..it could be anytime.They have been sent back and fixed and are sitting in shop and they are just waiting for the call so they can be released.

jepcho

Quote from: Hooks' n' Beards' on May 20, 2015, 07:14:53 PM
my old man purchased the sxp turkey gun before the 2013 season,he has been to Oklahoma for Rio's,Florida for Osceola and tagged out all 3 years up here he has used it with toms.I like it,it shoulders great for me.For the price it makes a great turkey gun..i am waiting for the Long beard sxp to be released up here and i am buying one just for the pistol grip.I will say the finish isn't perfect but i like everything else about the gun...i use a gun as a tool so the finish isn't a killer for me....I am excited for the Long beard sxp to get released,talking to bass pro..it could be anytime.They have been sent back and fixed and are sitting in shop and they are just waiting for the call so they can be released.

Thanks for the info.  Was wondering what the sights were like?  Do they seem pretty good quality?  And did he have any poa/poi problems.  I read one review where somebody had problems with getting one sighted in.

KPcalls

I'm close to buying the 20 gauge turkey model.

Hooks' n' Beards'

never had an issue..gun shoots great.I bought him a truglo tru bead for it...He is 9 for 9 with it..I was going to buy it this summer for a backup but seen they offer the pistol grip now.So its what i want.

darn2ten

My buddy has one. I actually think it one of the better pump guns out there. When you fire a shot the slide pretty much comes back and ejects the spent shell by itself. Makes for quick smooth follow up shots if you need one. Also has the invector plus back bored barrel that usually patterns well too.

KPcalls

There is also now a 25.00 rebate on the SXP guns which started yesterday and runs through June..?
picking my new 20 gauge SXP Turkey this week.

Bowguy

It's made in Turkey. That's enough for me never to buy it. My buddy bought one before the season. Got recalled a week or so later. He still doesn't have it back to my knowledge. 
This penny pinching crap has gotta stop or I'll keep using my old guns n spend extra money on calls.
Browning silver is made in Portugal, what the hell?
Too many money guys running the show.

jepcho

Yeah, I wasn't too sure about getting one then heard about the recall. Also saw a couple videos on YouTube which I think is the reason for the recall and it's pretty scary. Automatically discharging when you close the pump, even with the safety on. I'm sure there are some good ones in the bunch, and I'd love to think Winchester is still what it once was but think I'm gonna pass.
Leaning towards a Mossberg. Probably the 835 with the Mathews recoil reduction system. Made in America and from everything I hear, good customer support. Or just keep shooting my 1187.

357MAGNOLE

I was down between the SXP and the Stoeger M3000.  Went with the Stoeger for a few reasons, some of which can be read about above ^^^^^

But for the same price (actually slightly less) I got a semi-auto that seems to have a good reputation.

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."--Thomas Jefferson

Bowguy

Quote from: jepcho on May 29, 2015, 10:38:01 PM
Yeah, I wasn't too sure about getting one then heard about the recall. Also saw a couple videos on YouTube which I think is the reason for the recall and it's pretty scary. Automatically discharging when you close the pump, even with the safety on. I'm sure there are some good ones in the bunch, and I'd love to think Winchester is still what it once was but think I'm gonna pass.
Leaning towards a Mossberg. Probably the 835 with the Mathews recoil reduction system. Made in America and from everything I hear, good customer support. Or just keep shooting my 1187.
I have an 835 for over 20 years. I am not a Mossberg fan. Not crazy bout the loose pumps, roughing fit n finish. However the 835 is a great gun w none of the things that bug me  and it has open forcing cones, overbored barrel. Everytime I say I'm gonna get another turkey gun,(I've already got a bunch) I never do. I also considered the SXP but there's no way once I looked into it.

Hooks' n' Beards'

For me,i prefer guns built in turkey or other parts of Europe over anything built in the USA.I am not a bigot and do not need to pound my chest.Winchester Sxp is a solid gun,like most other guns built in Europe and across the pond.I try and buy anything but built in America guns now...

gatrkyhntr70

The sxp has some nice features that pulled me in. Between myself and my son we bought 3 sxp's. One turkey model and 2 field models; They had a terrible trigger(heaviest Ive ever seen.) And all of them had poa and poi issues. It was so bad that it was beyond the adjustments of the truglo adjustable sights. 
<- <- <= <- <- <- <-

BrowningGuy88

Quote from: longislandloco on May 29, 2015, 10:40:52 PM
Isn't the SXP just a remake of the old 1200/1300, sure looks like it based on schematics down to the four lug rotary bolt. If thats the case it's funny how so many claim it's such a great gun while the 1200/1300 was so maligned. Change the name and make it in Turkey and it's all good, LOL.
And to me the 1300s are some of the most unappreciated guns out there. I like them a loy.

jepcho

Quote from: 357MAGNOLE on May 29, 2015, 10:49:09 PM
I was down between the SXP and the Stoeger M3000.  Went with the Stoeger for a few reasons, some of which can be read about above ^^^^^

But for the same price (actually slightly less) I got a semi-auto that seems to have a good reputation.

How do you like your stoeger?  I have considered that as an option too.  I dont really need a new turkey gun but wanna have a dedicated turkey gun again.  Should've never sold my old one.