turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

boyds thumbhole stock=higher recoil?

Started by dzsmith, May 09, 2015, 12:27:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dzsmith

so I purchased a beautiful laminate thumbhole stock from boyds for my 870. its slightly heavier than my original walnut stock and slightly longer. I purchased this stock with the expectation of somewhat better trigger control and if anything less recoil. I installed it, put on correcty, tight fit. and ive noticed the recoil is now more. my shot placement at 40 yards seems to be better, but why higher recoil. I the oversized cheek rest is nice and comfy but my face is taking all the recoil vs my shoulder
"For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great."

30_06

Recoil becomes more inline. Face is not lined up the same. You may need something to align your head correctly, such as a cheek pad, or adjust the stock to fit better.

dzsmith

Birdyblaster

My guess would be the pitch, or angle of the butt pad, is different and doesn't fit you as well. If the toe contacts your shoulder before the heel the gun will rise and you'll get more cheek slap.

30_06

Length of pull, height of cheek pad, angle of stock etc all go into the fit, and one or more may be needing adjustment for proper fit. Adjustment can be taking material out or adding material to.

Old Gobbler

:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

mikejd

My opinion is there is nothing you can do about it. If your cheek is on the stock it is going to get slammed no matter how much your shoulder takes. I keep my cheek way down on my stock hunting a single bead. Shoulder locked in tight and comfy. My cheek is rocked after a few shots. I use a lead sled while patterning and when shooting birds i dont notice a thing.

dzsmith