turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Stoeger m3500 or Mossy 935

Started by Bro2032, May 02, 2015, 06:39:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bro2032

I've been looking for a new "Dedicated" turkey gun.. I'm looking at the Stoeger M3500, and the Mossberg 935.. Both can be had in camo, with 24" barrel..
I know the 935 had cycling issues with lighter loads, but this will be a "Dedicated" gun, so that's a non-issue..
What are your thoughts on these two guns. The reviews are pretty good on both, but I want to hear what real turkey hunters have to say..

Thanks,
BRO

bbcoach

I'm not that familiar with the Stoeger but I love my Mossy 835.  They pattern really well with Hevi's and LB's, there are plenty of quality and proven chokes for them and many on this site have done a lot of patterning so there is plenty of info to get you started.  Good Luck with your choice.   

Bro2032

I've got a Mossberg 835, and it's outstanding.. My son claims it, and I'm gonna need another turkey gun.. Just wondering about reliability with the semis..

Mike Honcho

I have both a Camo 24" 935 and 3500. My 3500 patterns better with Longbeard 6's (275 in 10@40), vs 210 with 935.
935 shot slightly off point of aim so it has tru gloMagnum gobble stopper sights. The Stoeger shoots left of point of aim and it wears a red dot. Stoeger  trigger is horrible, maybe 8-9 lb pull.  If I had to only buy one it would be a tough choice....I had a bad barrel on the Stoeger when it was new....swelled all turkey chokes. I had to send the 935 back for repair  when it was new so neither are "Benelli' quality.   

I have hunted all this season with the 935...mostly because I prefer  the iron sights.

The Stoeger with a $65 trigger job would be a formidable gun.

jordanz7935

Mossberg 935 all the way. Love mine wouldnt trade it for a benelli. Made in America with great customer service.I added another notch to its stock this morning!Also makes a great waterfowling gun.

Bro2032

Quote from: jordanz7935 on May 02, 2015, 01:22:55 PM
Mossberg 935 all the way. Love mine wouldnt trade it for a benelli. Made in America with great customer service.I added another notch to its stock this morning!Also makes a great waterfowling gun.
I sure like the look of a 935.. I like the USA stamp on it also.

jordanz7935

Quote from: Bro2032 on May 02, 2015, 02:06:41 PM
I like the USA stamp on it also ????
Not exactly sure what your talkin about, maybe the sticker they have on the stock when theyre brand new?

allaboutshooting

I've had a 935 for a long time and it's an excellent shotgun. Mine is an NWTF gun and came with a 25" barrel. A couple of months ago I put one of the new Marble's Ghost Ring sights on that barrel and also got a 28" that I've not yet shot.

Mine also has a very good, clean and relatively light trigger. It's very crisp. Although the manual says it won't cycle 2.75" shells, this one does very reliably. That seems to be a gun-to-gun thing.

It is muzzle heavy and you can get some serious cheek slap with it. I put a very thin neoprene pad on the comb and that solved the problem for me.

The only real objection that I've had when using it for turkeys is that is a heavy gun to carry all day.

Many of my readers shoot the Stoeger M3500 and like the gun. We had a number of folks come by our booth at the NWTF Convention this year to get a choke for that gun and it seems to be quite popular based upon the number of inquiries I've had about it. I've not heard anything negative about the gun.

It has the proven Inertia system and should be very easy to maintain. It's lighter than the 935 by maybe 1/4 lb.

It probably comes down to which one feels best to you and balances best in your hands. They're both good guns, well made and with reasonable care, should last a lifetime.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Bro2032

Quote from: jordanz7935 on May 02, 2015, 02:10:17 PM
Quote from: Bro2032 on May 02, 2015, 02:06:41 PM
I like the USA stamp on it also ????
Not exactly sure what your talkin about, maybe the sticker they have on the stock when theyre brand new?
I'm not sure how that crazy face got in there. It was suppose to be a thumbs up.. Wasn't disputing your claim of US built at all. Sorry for the confusing post, friend..

Bro2032

Quote from: allaboutshooting on May 02, 2015, 02:54:18 PM
I've had a 935 for a long time and it's an excellent shotgun. Mine is an NWTF gun and came with a 25" barrel. A couple of months ago I put one of the new Marble's Ghost Ring sights on that barrel and also got a 28" that I've not yet shot.

Mine also has a very good, clean and relatively light trigger. It's very crisp. Although the manual says it won't cycle 2.75" shells, this one does very reliably. That seems to be a gun-to-gun thing.

It is muzzle heavy and you can get some serious cheek slap with it. I put a very thin neoprene pad on the comb and that solved the problem for me.

The only real objection that I've had when using it for turkeys is that is a heavy gun to carry all day.

Many of my readers shoot the Stoeger M3500 and like the gun. We had a number of folks come by our booth at the NWTF Convention this year to get a choke for that gun and it seems to be quite popular based upon the number of inquiries I've had about it. I've not heard anything negative about the gun.

It has the proven Inertia system and should be very easy to maintain. It's lighter than the 935 by maybe 1/4 lb.

It probably comes down to which one feels best to you and balances best in your hands. They're both good guns, well made and with reasonable care, should last a lifetime.

Thanks,
Clark
Thanks for the info, Clark.. I need to get my hands on both, and feel them out..

jordanz7935

Oh no problem i thought you were referring to the sticker on the stock. If the stoeger is inertia driven its gonna kick harder than a 935(gas Auto) . My 935 is the lightest recoiling 3&1/2" gun i have shot although i havent shot many of the high $ autos. It definately kicks alot less than my 870 when using 3"mags as well. Let us know what you end up getting.

Bro2032

Quote from: Mike Honcho on May 02, 2015, 11:01:03 AM
I have both a Camo 24" 935 and 3500. My 3500 patterns better with Longbeard 6's (275 in 10@40), vs 210 with 935.
935 shot slightly off point of aim so it has tru gloMagnum gobble stopper sights. The Stoeger shoots left of point of aim and it wears a red dot. Stoeger  trigger is horrible, maybe 8-9 lb pull.  If I had to only buy one it would be a tough choice....I had a bad barrel on the Stoeger when it was new....swelled all turkey chokes. I had to send the 935 back for repair  when it was new so neither are "Benelli' quality.   

I have hunted all this season with the 935...mostly because I prefer  the iron sights.

The Stoeger with a $65 trigger job would be a formidable gun.
Mike, I had read that the triggers on the M3500 were a little junky. But it's good to know that it can be worked. I would probably have either one of them to my gunsmith for a little work, so I'll call that a draw. Thanks for the info, brother.!!

Bro2032

Quote from: jordanz7935 on May 02, 2015, 03:15:27 PM
Oh no problem i thought you were referring to the sticker on the stock. If the stoeger is inertia driven its gonna kick harder than a 935(gas Auto) . My 935 is the lightest recoiling 3&1/2" gun i have shot although i havent shot many of the high $ autos. It definately kicks alot less than my 870 when using 3"mags as well. Let us know what you end up getting.
Good deal.. I thought that the M3500 being an inertia gun would mean a little extra slap. But, the fact that it is an inertia gun, will mean less cleaning also.. I want them both. May buy both, and sell the loser of the "Cheap Auto Shootout".!!
It'll be a couple of months before I buy. Hope to find a guy or two that own these guns, that'll let me try them out. But I will certainly keep you guys posted.

Phire Phite

My M3500 patterns just slightly better than my 835 with the limited testing so far.  That trigger is pretty nasty, also, my safety is absurd to take off.  Very Stiff, but I bought the gun used and it was quite dirty.  What's the lead on a $65 trigger job for the Stoeger Mike?  R.R.?

OP, I don't think you could go wrong with either.

buckgobbler

I have hunted with 935 for years.  Mine has the 26" barrel.  I have found that it is not picky and patterns well with most shells. Mine really shoots lead 3 1/2 2 1/4 oz loads great.  I believe this is due to oversized diameter of barrel.  If you are going to shoot the HTL they both should shoot great. The 935 to me is a light kicking gun if there is such thing with a 3 1/2.  I put a Simms pad on my gun and a 3" she'll seems like shooting a 2 3/4 mag.  My friend has a SBE which is a great gun but has much more perceived recoil.