OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

What numbers with this setup?

Started by kdsberman, April 29, 2015, 04:32:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kdsberman

Hey guys I've read a lot about Hevi 7's and am thinking of switching from my Nitro H517 to these.  I have a Star Dot and Jellyhead and would like to find an IC (Moss 835 BTW).  Just wondering though if anyone has had just as good of luck with Hevi Shot 6s as they are with 7s in terms of patterns. What numbers can I expect to get with these or should I just go right for 7s.   

Thanks guys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dirt road ninja

I've gotten good results with the 6's and my IC and Stardot (180-200) with one shot going in the 220's. The IC did consistently beat the Stardot with all loads, but the Hevi 7's. I was getting consistent 270's with the Stardot and 7's. I have since switched to the straight 7's 2 7/16 Nitro's with this load I get about the same numbers in the 10, but more in the 15 and higher velocity. The IC did beat the Stardot with the Nitro's.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: kdsberman on April 29, 2015, 04:32:47 PM
Hey guys I've read a lot about Hevi 7's and am thinking of switching from my Nitro H517 to these.  I have a Star Dot and Jellyhead and would like to find an IC (Moss 835 BTW).  Just wondering though if anyone has had just as good of luck with Hevi Shot 6s as they are with 7s in terms of patterns. What numbers can I expect to get with these or should I just go right for 7s.   

Thanks guys

The chokes that did best both with WLB #6 and #6 shot Hevi-13s in the 835 in my recent evaluations, were the Hevi-13 Turkey Choke 220 & 221 and the SSX 186 & 192. All patterns were dense and without any gaps of 2" or more.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

kdsberman

Thanks guys.  So from what I understand, getting 220 is close to the ceiling as far as what #6's can do in a 10"? 

I'm still debating.

davisd9

Yes and they produce an excellent hunters pattern. The 6s hammer and give more than you ever need

Sent from the Strut Zone
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

bbcoach

I have a .670 Pure Gold in my 835 and the 7's put up 300 plus with the 300325 and 300525's.  I love the 7's because they Hammer Toms.  You probably won't get 300's with the newer 7's but they should put better numbers than the 6's.  The .676 Stardot should be a Great starting point.  Good Luck with your choice. 

kdsberman

Quote from: bbcoach on April 29, 2015, 07:54:24 PM
I have a .670 Pure Gold in my 835 and the 7's put up 300 plus with the 300325 and 300525's.  I love the 7's because they Hammer Toms.  You probably won't get 300's with the newer 7's but they should put better numbers than the 6's.  The .676 Stardot should be a Great starting point.  Good Luck with your choice.

If I do the 7's, I'll probably get Nitros since I've had very good luck with them.