OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

fan

Started by Greg Massey, April 24, 2015, 12:47:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg Massey

How long do you guys leave your turkey fans to dry out ? 1 wk, 2wks, or month

stinkpickle

Lately, I've been leaving them in a cardboard and borax sandwich for years.  :)  Back in the day, I let them dry for the entire summer before messing with them.  That's probably excessive, but I never had to worry about them being dry enough.

West Augusta

Same here.  Cover the tail joint in borax and leave until completely dry and you won't have issues with bugs.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

BABS9

I usually let mine dry for about a month maybe more. I just keep re applying salt and checking it. Make sure it gets every drop of moisture.

SteelerFan

Quote from: West Augusta on April 24, 2015, 01:27:37 PM
Same here.  Cover the tail joint in borax and leave until completely dry and you won't have issues with bugs.

X3 I usually do 1 week of first dose of borax, brush off & reapply liberal amount and let go for another couple of weeks. Average 4? It will depend on how much trimming you did of meat and fat, etc.

kjnengr

Quote from: SteelerFan on April 24, 2015, 02:09:10 PM

X3 I usually do 1 week of first dose of borax, brush off & reapply liberal amount and let go for another couple of weeks. Average 4? It will depend on how much trimming you did of meat and fat, etc.

I'm with SteelerFan.  I trim as much meat as possible and liberally rub in the borax wherever I can see meat and then sprinkle a little more on there.  After about a week I dust it off and liberally sprinkle some more borax on the tail joint.  From that point I don't mess with it again until 3 or 4 weeks later.  I have never not had one dry by this point before. 

g8rvet

I just mound the salt on top and forget it.  Usually a month or so later I remember to walk out to the bard and check it.  I tap the salt off and do it again and then check it when I next think of it.
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Snoodsniper

Quote from: kjnengr on April 24, 2015, 04:17:34 PM
Quote from: SteelerFan on April 24, 2015, 02:09:10 PM

I'm with SteelerFan.  I trim as much meat as possible and liberally rub in the borax wherever I can see meat and then sprinkle a little more on there.  After about a week I dust it off and liberally sprinkle some more borax on the tail joint.  From that point I don't mess with it again until 3 or 4 weeks later.  I have never not had one dry by this point before.
^^^This. I will also pack a little borax around the joint before hanging it on a board. Salt will not stop bugs.

alloutdoors

If you prepare it right it won't take more than a couple weeks using borax. You need to cut out the tail bone and as much skin, fat, and oil as you can get away with. The nice thing about getting rid of the tail bone is that if you do it right you shouldn't really even need to do anything to hold the fan in place.

Ctrize

Usually a month  :smiley-patriotic-flagwaver-an

MK M GOBL

I take 2 months on this, When I first set I cover with borax and it sets undisturbed for a month, then I clean off borax and cover again for 2 weeks, and repeat. Last thing to do is bondo the base of these when I use them for decoys, keeps the base dry in bad weather and won't soften back up if they get wet. :icon_thumright:

MK M GOBL

blake_08

Quote from: MK M GOBL on February 21, 2019, 05:51:19 PM
Last thing to do is bondo the base of these :icon_thumright:

X2 on the bondo. I flesh mine and clean it super good with Xacto knives and a small wire brush. Get between all the quills on the inside of the skin and get all that yellow fat out. Cut the tail bone out and borax the crap out of it. Then i pin it out on cardboard and mound borax up over the base of the fan. After a month or so, i knock off most of the borax and cover anything that's not feather or quills in bondo and let cure for a day or two. Never have to worry about bugs and the fan should last a really long time.

Zilla

x3 on the Bondo. I clean as much flesh as possible, pin it to the cardboard and then pack in Borax for at least a month. I'll remove the Borax and reapply for a month or so. I then apply the Bondo to the flesh area.

Gobspur

Usually 4-5 weeks.  Change the borax couple of times.  Then usually cover in bondo or that thick gorilla glue.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk