Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Reminder: Hunt SAFE! (Turkey Hunter shot in Maryland)

Started by SteelerFan, April 20, 2015, 08:08:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eggshell

I have been following this thread and I understand the feelings expressed by all, but I do not think assuming only a stupid slob hunter could make the mistake is true. I do think some people are more prone to accidents and hunters like greentag mentioned are scary to think about being in the woods with. A lot of accidents involved very experienced hunters, the guy who shot me was in his 60s and one of the most respected sportsmen in our community. He never imagined how it could be him. My accident was a bit different as it was more a case of careless firearm handling than pure hunting, but the result was the same. He is actually a good friend.

We had made a move on some birds and were trying to kill our first birds with a crossbow. We had the birds close once and got busted and they were still active so we moved and was making a new set up. When all of a sudden the birds called right in front of us. As normal we scrambled for trees. I suddenly felt something like a switch hit my leg, but instantly new from the sound his crossbow had fired. He had forgot to reengage his safety after the close encounter. We don't know if a twig hit the trigger or a solid bump triggered it. The result was the same. I was shot through and through the thigh with a three bladed broadhead. I'm sure firearm handling was second hand to him, but a mental lapse led to a near fatal mistake. I have become the worlds best observer of where hunters have their firearms pointed since. You would be surprised how many "good hunters" let muzzles and bows point towards other hunters. I have watched hundreds of guys rushing to set up on turkeys in real life and videos and you'd be astonished how many times weapons end up pointed at people. As for me I was one of the most blessed men in the world. I had worked as a volunteer EMT for a few years and knew instantly I had only minutes or seconds  to react properly. I rigged a pressure point tourniquet to slow the bleeding and my buddy went for help. I started to hobble out as we were a mile deep in the woods. To make a long story short I made it to the local emergency room with 10 minutes to spare, I crashed ten minutes after arrival and was life flighted to a major trauma center. I had lost 40% of my total blood volume and had an inch hole  bored completely through my left thigh. They would not close the wound for fear of infection. My whole leg turned black from one massive hematoma and the wounds bled to some extent constantly. After I came home from the hospital my wonderful wife whom I can never repay had to change my dressings multiple times a day for two months. I was so weak I could not walk around the house without feeling like I had been on an all day turkey hunt in the mountains. I truly believe I would be dead if God had not intervened.

So please let's not debate on how stupid anyone is or the profile of who knows what etc., let's just resolve to always as much as possible keep safety in the front of our minds. I forgave my buddy pretty quickly, but it still haunts him to this day. He would tell you that he thought there was no way he could have let something like that happen before the accident. Fellow hunters let's not insult each other, but do all we can to help each other be safer. That is why this thread is so good, it's makes people think!

OK I'm off my soap box

SteelerFan

....and this is why this forum is such a great place for information. Thank you eggshell, blkpowder, and others that have shared your experiences. Wow.

MDSTRUTNRUT

I'm from Maryland but rarely hunt  western part of state.   I've never been involved in a shooting hunting accident but looking back can easily say it would not have taken much for things to have easily gone bad.   I have GREAT RESPECT for the guys that shared their accident experiences even though it brings back painful memories.   I would be very careful to think that "IT COULDNT HAPPEN TO ME" or that these are scumbags that all need to be in jail even though they should to be held accountable.    GREAT READ AND INVALUABLE LESSONS LEARNED!   

greencop01

Thanks, this is a great thread, if there is anything I have learned from hunting it is to never say never, it can happen to you. There is so much involved in hunting that Murphy's Law is applicable, if anything can go wrong it will at any time. Another saying there go I accept for the Grace of God.Thanks again for being so honest and sharing, and you readers out there keep an open mind and an open eye!
We wait all year,why not enjoy the longbeard coming in hunting for a hen, let 'em' in close !!!