OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

National Forest Bird..

Started by Bro2032, April 19, 2015, 08:37:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bro2032

I've spent most of the first week here in Va. Calling for my son and two hunting buddies. 
Well,  yesterday would be no different. I thought.... We struck a bird right a fly down, and he gobbled at every call, but wouldn't close the distance. We worked him for about 45 minutes, and decided he must have a few girlfriends with him.. We then decided to move on him.
We came down off the ridge we were on,  and skirted around him about a mile to the ridge on the other side. When we got to where we thought we should be, we heard a second Tom on the next ridge over. I think the first bird may have committed to our original setup, had it not been for fear that this other Tom would pull his girls.. I made a few calls, and had them both gobbling. But, the original bird seemed disinterested, so we focused on the new prospect on the next ridge over. He was henned up, based on the hen calls coming from that direction. But what we didn't realize, was that the original bird that we had skirted this mountain to setup on, was in a dead run to our location. We hadn't heard from bird #1 for almost 15 minutes, when I decided to try my new glass call.. (Wormy Chestnut-Glass/Glass).
I made 3 soft clucks, and he nearly blew my hat off.!! He was just over the break of that old tram road we were sitting in. My buddy was setup right over the hill to my left, and I couldn't figure out why he hadn't shot yet. Later he told me that he had just put his head against the tree, and tried not to breathe, because he was sure the bird was gonna bust him. Lol..
This bird had snuck in, and was making a b-line for my calling setup.. when he gobbled that close, I was caught a little off guard,  and was scrambling to ready the mossberg for a shot. When he popped up in my set, he was 19 yds and looking for love.. But all he found was a bald fat man with a mossberg.. lol

Sorry for the long winded post..

2eagles

Nothing wrong with old fat bald men.
Nothing wrong with that bird either.
Nice job.

Yelper

That is a great feeling of excitement when one gobbles that close that you didn't know was there. Great job.

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

JK Spurs

Good stuff....I hope this fat bald guy can attract a few Toms this year.
I like my turkey well peppered

alloutdoors

Phire Phite

Not as fun without a good story.  Nice job.  Nice bird.

Bro2032

It will certainly get your blood pumping.. I Love this stuff.!!

owlhoot

turkey harvester

Great job in a great bird. Cool story too
TURKEY NUT CUSTOM STRIKERS- Jeffrey Thompson-Owner.  Kathleen,GA
Hunt with your kids, not for them.

Hunt with your kids, not for them.

ncturkey

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

alclark2

Nothing like success in the forest land! Congrats on that beautiful bird.
Hoosier Hunt n Fish

trkycaller

tomstopper