OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

darn short Iowa season #1

Started by 2eagles, April 13, 2015, 08:21:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

captpete

Quote from: Timmer on April 17, 2015, 03:02:54 PM
Fine job.  My son and I are in Iowa and gave it a shot this morning.  2 birds were gobbling on the roost across the road on private land, and 2 more were on the same public land but across a river.  I couldn't get any to come to our side. 

Stick with it....at least you were hearing some gobbles. :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

stinkpickle

Quote from: captpete on April 18, 2015, 07:15:18 AM
Congrats on the bird!!! It sounds like we could have been hunting the same places....lots of hens and VERY few gobbles. It was really neat to hear all the roosters cackling...haven't heard that in a few years.

Thanks!  I still didn't hear a single gunshot (except my own, of course) the entire 1st season which is RARE and REALLY STRANGE!  The DNR check-in site used to have a harvest report by county that they updated daily, but I don't see it anymore.  I'm curious just how many...or few...were harvested. 

captpete

I only heard 3 shots and one of those was my buddy's. Like you said that is weird. My buddy said that there were 5-6 people that he knows through his work that didn't fill their 1st season tags this year, definetly a weird start to the season. Here is the link to the DNR Harvest report...it is actually in the deer hunting section.   https://jc.activeoutdoorsolutions.com/iowadnr/harvestdata/realTimeHarvest.do