OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

How many do you eat?

Started by Strick9, April 07, 2015, 08:45:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Strick9

In the past years the most I could manage to keep the taste for is 2 full birds.
I usually let up on the killing at two and just call or film for other folks but this year the buddies might be taking a back seat..

My buddy built an old school cold smoker and has gone in to the sugar curing and salt curing as well. I am already done eating bird 2 and looking forward to another.. Finished off the last of the smoked turkey salad tonight.

How many can you handle before getting sick of eating Turkey?
LowCountryWildlifeManagement
Knowing Wildlife beyond Science
Genesis 9;2

deerbasshunter3

I don' know about turkey, as the only turkey I had to eat was overcooked by me and didn't taste good.

I am a big deer hunter and every year I think I have to stock the freezer with a minimum of three deer. Well, we usually start out eating a good bit of deer meat (maybe once every two weeks) towards the end of the season and right after it. After about a month or two of eating deer meat every other week, we get tired of it. Needless to say. we always have a freezer full of deer meat, some of it being three years old.

I imagine it is different with turkey since there isn't as much meat.

2much2loud

Never get sick of turkey....I always slice it into strips and deep fry it in house autry....also deep fry sliced potatoes and fresh cheese curd for a meal.....never had to freeze a turkey ...it doesn't last 2 days.....I only harvest 2-5 birds a year....always seem to have company when we fry turkey for some reason;)

Gooserbat

I'll eat a couple but its nexer baked or fryed.  I make turkey popets, fajitas, or something exotic.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

chadly

For me the more the better.  We can only shoot two here.  I have four kids and they have been raised on deer, pheasant, and the occasional turkey.  I know people who hunt then throw away the meat because it goes old.  For us its just life and all we eat if we are successful enough.  A few years ago I butchered eight deer that i shot and were given to me.  We ran out.  Any more beef gives me troubles.  I love my venison.  We had turkey burgers for dinner tonight!!

101st501

I never get tired of any meat.

HogBiologist

One bird lasts me 2 meals.  Each breast is a meal of fried turkey strips.  I killed 5 deer this year.  Those deer are almost gone.  Will be out before summer gets in full swing.
Certified Wildlife Biologist

Clif Owen

Eat every one I can get. Unfortunately, I don't have much success, so that ain't many of them.

taylorjones20

We never get tired of it.  Whether it's turkey nuggets, bourbon honey glazed, poppers, grilled bacon wraps, southwestern egg rolls, etc. Plenty of delicious things you can do with that valuable wild turkey breast!
Alive only by the Grace Of God

eggshell

I have never determined what is enough, we eat all I kill. I killed 9 last year and we have one half breast left in the freezer, because I was saving it for someone who has never eat wild turkey and wanted to try it.

TauntoHawk

Turkey BBQ is always a hit, I vacuum pack mine so it keeps well in the freezer. we'll eat as many as we shoot each year. Deer I keep around 4-5 a year and give the rest away.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Cut N Run

We get two tags a year here, but that's not close to enough.

I marinate mine in a ginger teriyaki marinade, then grill it and add some grilled fresh pineapple spears.  I've never found anybody who didn't like it or want more.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

dejake

I eat everything I kill.  The more, the better.

Dr Juice

I can eat wild turkey daily if available. My favorite is to make finger foods out of it. I marinate it and then stir fry and have some dipping sauces available for guests. I learned this method from a good friend and it seems to be a hit everytime.

Bowguy

I can eat em a couple times a month. Have tons of recipes. Some really easy ones are cut em thim and brush red wine vinegrette or Rays barbecue sauce in it each time it's turned. Cut it very thin it'll cook fast n be juicy.