OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Had the First Shot Out from Under Me

Started by hoyt, April 06, 2015, 04:46:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

g8rvet

Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

TRG3

Now that I've read all of the posts, my memory reminds me of the time I was hunting in the Shawnee National Forest in Pope County, Southern Illinois. I'd walked for about 15 minutes on a trail in the dark aided by my flashlight when I heard a 4-wheeler coming, something that was not supposed to be in that section of the forest. He waived as he passed, headed in the same direction that I was going. I heard him shoot shortly after dawn, so I assume that he bagged his gobbler and left. 

bghunter777

Maybe this had been mentioned but I would guess you came in on him. Even if dark you would have seen or heard someone set up 20 yards away

g8rvet

Quote from: bghunter777 on April 10, 2015, 09:26:06 AM
Maybe this had been mentioned but I would guess you came in on him. Even if dark you would have seen or heard someone set up 20 yards away

What?  You find it more likely that a guy that is hard of hearing did not hear someone behind him walk in and set up and never call in those thin woods than it is that a guy that was already sitting there had someone walk in and set up IN FRONT of him, all while the front guy is calling from 20 yards away IN FRONT of him and the guy behind had no clue he was there? 

Where were you on that day?  (the last line there was a joke - I know humor does not translate well on Al Gore's Interwebs). 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

hoyt

Quote from: bghunter777 on April 10, 2015, 09:26:06 AM

I didn't come in on him, he came in on me.  He came down a steep ridge from above and behind me where it's a little thicker up towards the top. I'm very hard of hearing and don't hear a lot of things.

My eye's were glued on the two hung up strutting gobblers below me at about 40 yds. and had no sensible reason to be looking anywhere but at them. I was trying to get them 8 or 10 yds closer for about 1/2 hr. Soon as I went back to the call they liked they turned and started coming straight for me at a fast strut...then he shot.