turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

lead vs hevi ...confused...?

Started by DirtNap647, March 21, 2015, 02:08:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DirtNap647

ok im confused guys.... shooting  heavy 7's which are equivalent to lead 6 (according to the diagram above) so how is it denser than longbeard 4 or 5 shot ....ive been debating this in my head which to shoot but im unsure

DirtNap647

also this chart might help explain...

Hevi #7
pellets per ounce: 275
energy - ft lbs per sq inch: 163.4

lead #6
pellets per ounce: 224
energy - ft lbs per sq inch: 166.4

lead #5
pellets per ounce: 173
energy - ft lbs per sq inch: 198.8

Hevi #6
pellets per ounce: 206
energy - ft lbs per sq inch: 198.8

lead #4
pellets per ounce: 136
energy - ft lbs per sq inch: 232.7

Hevi #5
pellets per ounce: 159
energy - ft lbs per sq inch: 236

TSS #9
pellets per ounce: 360
energy - ft lbs per sq inch: 236

Heavyweight #7
pellets per ounce: 220
energy - ft lbs per sq inch: 254.4

Hevi #4
pellets per ounce: 125
energy - ft lbs per sq inch: 274.6

TSS #8
pellets per ounce: 250
energy - ft lbs per sq inch: 293.3

Heavyweight #6
pellets per ounce: 165
energy - ft lbs per sq inch: 303.8

Heavyweight #5
pellets per ounce: 127
energy - ft lbs per sq inch: 355.1

TSS #7
pellets per ounce: 183
energy - ft lbs per sq inch: 355.1 "

Tom Foolery

Are you talking weight or hardness?  The lead shot will weigh more, the hevi shot will be harder, deform less and penetrate as well or better. 

I shoot hevi 7's because they throw a silly good pattern with no gaps through a 20" circle.  I like good 10" circle numbers but on a hunting gun I want my 20" looking solid too and #4 and #5 shot just doesn't do it for me.  I've killed birds with lead 4's, 5's and 6's.  I've killed birds with hevi 6's and hevi 7's.  Hevi 7's work for a long way, energy and penetration has never been an issue when shooting 7's for me.

Hevi13 7's from my 12's

HW 7's, H13 7's and H13 6's from my 20's

Bottom line we make way to much to do about shot sizes or type of shot.  Pick something you like and roll with it.  I figure ammo is the cheapest part about hunting so I'm not going to worry about saving a buck because the ammo I shoot is the only thing that will make contact with a living animal I'm hunting so I want to use what I feel is the best.

howl

Only way you might go wrong is if longbeard lead sixes will hold a pattern farther than lead sixes will penetrate. Anything bigger or more dense, there's no problem.

Ihuntoldschool

Shoot the one that patterns the best.  I have only shot lead and see no need for anything else.  I wouldn't worry about foot pounds, just shoot him dead; no use trying to stomp him to death.

zelmo1

:OGturkeyhead: :z-winnersmiley: Out to 40, shoot what patterns the best. Al Baker

Gobble!

The density of a material is the same no matter the size, be it a #9 or a #2.

Lead and Hevi shot are two different materials.

Density and kinetic energy are two totally different formulas and tell two different things.

Hevi shot #7 weighs about the same as a lead #6 which is why they have similar kinetic energy.

This is because the #7 is densier giving it the extra weight even though the #6 is larger.

Because the #7 has a higher density that allows it to hold it's shape better on impact and hold a tighter pattern.

Like getting hit in the face by a baseball vs an apple, assuming they weight the same. Apple might be a bit bigger but that baseball is going to hurt more.

HogBiologist

To look at this you first need to know the difference between weight and denstity.

Weight is how much an object weighs

Density (in a basic description) is the weight of a certain volume of an object.

For shot material, we usually use the density expression of grams per cubic centimeter (g/cc). This means the material weighs X grams per cubic centimeter of volume.

We express shot sizes in spherical measurements, which all have an identical volume (I.e. All number 6 shot are the same size and would be the same volume).

Lead has a density of 11 grams/cc
Hevi-shot has a density of 12 g/cc
Heviweight has a density of 15 g/cc

For a good example of the density difference in an identical sized shot, think of a ping pong ball and a golf ball. Same size but different weight. That is the difference in weight of different densities.

Now let's say a base ball and a golf ball weighed the same. Very different in volume (size) but similar weights. Due to the size of the golf ball, there is less surface area. This means the GB is affected by drag less. It has less resistance to wind and turkey noggin. The BB requires more energy to overcome the wind resistance and flesh resistance.   This is why they say you get equal penetration with a hevi 6 and a lead 5.  The smaller pellets that are more dense also are less effected by wind resistance and hold tighter patterns. Larger pellets (even the same weight as the smaller) are more open due to shot effected by wind resistance.

There are other things like hardness of the material, but that is basically why people are saying you can get #6 lead performance from a #7 hevi shot.
Certified Wildlife Biologist

Lucky Clucker

I have shot turkeys with lead 6 shot and hevi 7's.Hands down the hevi 7 shot killed them far better than the lead 6 shot, no flopping off and flying off with hevi shot 7. It breaks bone and penetrates deeper than lead.
Hunt every day as if it were your last.

kdsberman

Out of curiosity, what is the "Heavyweight"?  I've been familiar with the Hevi-Shot and use it in my Nitros, but not familiar with Heavyweight.

HogBiologist

Quote from: kdsberman on March 23, 2015, 08:19:10 AM
Out of curiosity, what is the "Heavyweight"?  I've been familiar with the Hevi-Shot and use it in my Nitros, but not familiar with Heavyweight.

Heavyweight (15 g/cc) is the product that federal has out. It was produced in several shot sizes, but #7 was the big seller. It was very finiky to shoot with the flight control was (FCW).  It makes for an awsome 20 gauge load. And unlike hevi shot, the HW shot is perfectly round.

There was another product out that personal reloaders were using. It was called Tungsten Super Shot (TSS) and it was 19 g/cc. These guys were using #9 shot  and getting awsome patterns with superior knock down power. That is what a more dense pellet can achieve. Do a quick search on here for TSS and you can find some of the info. But the stuff was not in commercially available loads. It was a "Roll Your Own" situation.
Certified Wildlife Biologist

kdsberman

Quote from: HogBiologist on March 23, 2015, 08:55:53 AM
Quote from: kdsberman on March 23, 2015, 08:19:10 AM

Heavyweight (15 g/cc) is the product that federal has out. It was produced in several shot sizes, but #7 was the big seller. It was very finiky to shoot with the flight control was (FCW).  It makes for an awsome 20 gauge load. And unlike hevi shot, the HW shot is perfectly round.

There was another product out that personal reloaders were using. It was called Tungsten Super Shot (TSS) and it was 19 g/cc. These guys were using #9 shot  and getting awsome patterns with superior knock down power. That is what a more dense pellet can achieve. Do a quick search on here for TSS and you can find some of the info. But the stuff was not in commercially available loads. It was a "Roll Your Own" situation.

Thank you for the info.