turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

What length of barrel do you shoot?

Started by Fatbeard, March 17, 2015, 10:33:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Garrett Trentham

Gotta say, I'm highly impressed with the maturity level of this thread. Lots of low hanging fruit, particularly that last one.

As far as turkey guns go, I've always figured the shorter barrels equated to lighter weight and less gun to snag on limbs while walking through the woods. I've never owned a dedicated turkey gun per say, so I can't really speak on the matter. However, I've never had any issue killing turkeys with 26" and 28" barrels so long as there wasn't an invisible sapling between the muzzle and his head.
"Conservation needs more than lip service... more than professionals. It needs ordinary people with extraordinary desire. "
- Dr. Rex Hancock

www.deltawaterfowl.org

reynolds243

26" Sbe2
24" M2 20 gauge

Proverbs 3:5
"Trust in the lord with all your heart; do not depend on your own understanding"

Sent from my phone because I'm that cool

Izzyjoe

25.5 on the 870 special purpose, 27" with the Sumtoy installed!

Tom Foolery

20" on the 12 gauge and 21" on the 20 gauge

Oconeeguy

26" BPS  &  28" Rem 11-87. Both 12 ga.

Bama turkey hunter

26" on my 870 sm           24" on 835   
Tony

Fatbeard

Seems almost down the middle. Was looking into a more all around semi auto. Been looking at one with a 28". Hoping it would pattern good with a turkey choke. I know the 28" would be great on waterfowl
East TN Beard Buster

Tony Harris

I changed mine to a 23" on my 870 with a Kicks Gobblin Thunder. I shoot 3.5" Winchester Extended Range #6 and get right at 100 pellets in a pie plate at 40 yards. I bought some 3.5" #5 and some 3" #6 Longbeards to pattern before season. May put the 26" barrel back on just to see what it does as well.

deerbasshunter3

Quote from: Tony Harris on March 19, 2015, 09:43:34 AM
I changed mine to a 23" on my 870 with a Kicks Gobblin Thunder. I shoot 3.5" Winchester Extended Range #6 and get right at 100 pellets in a pie plate at 40 yards. I bought some 3.5" #5 and some 3" #6 Longbeards to pattern before season. May put the 26" barrel back on just to see what it does as well.

For what it's worth, I got over 200 in a 10" circle at 40 yards with my 870 and Win LB 3" #6. Give it a try. There is a reason everybody is talking about them and using them.

bghunter777

About 6 1/2 inches ohh you mean gun I have a few but most often my 26 inch 870

Tony Harris

I will let you know what it does out of both length barrels.

jbrown

Shot a 21" 870 for years, now shoot sbe 26"...both guns have awesome patterns. To me, not much diff in the woods.

Hook hanger

22",24",26",28" just depends on which one i want to shoot one with that day.

J Brown