turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

NON-CONTEST KILLS

Started by Illini Tom, March 14, 2015, 10:56:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Illini Tom

this thread is for your stories and pix of successful hunts other than the toms entered in the contest  :gobble:

ericjames

This was the first of the season. It won't be counted on the contest since the upgrade.

ericjames

This is my #3

I didn't get a pic of the weight but he was 17.8

ericjames

Illini Tom

got tom no. 2 yesterday
not a gobble in my sunrise setup spot where i've shot a lot of toms over the years. lots of gobbling across the creek in lease-land, so i bailed to another small farm 3-4 miles away
snuck up and peeked over the neighbor's fence and saw a big flock in the corn stalks with several strutters. made a couple calls to let em know i was there, they gobbled but moved off
went to my setup spot in a narrow field finger, planned on a long sit, so i put out deeks for one of the rare occasions
half hour later hear 2 shots from the west side of the cornfield. kept with my plan to stay put and called about every 15 minutes or so. sent out a yelp about an hour later on a woodhaven copperhead diaphragm and get a gobble from out in the cornfield. call again and he answers in the corner of the field where 2 tall cattle fences intersect
knew i couldt move on him so i wait a few minutes and call again. he thunders back much closer. call again and he's closing fast on my side after getting over/through/under 2 fences
hear him spitting and drumming but couldn't see him thru the thick briars, then he struts out about 15 yards away. i drop him with a 3" load of xx 5s just 5 minutes after his first gobble
22.8 + 11 + 1.25 = 69.8 score

Illini Tom

Illini Tom

ran the numbers on my last tom but didnt take pix since i knew he wouldnt upgrade
you'll have to trust me  ;D
9 inch beard + 1.1 spurs + 19.8 pounds = 59.8