OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Why aftermaket sights?

Started by STP22, March 12, 2015, 10:02:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

STP22

Hello, all!

Well, I have a Beretta A400 Xtreme....with just a front fiber optic sight.

1. What are the benefits of a TruGlo or Williams? Helps with lining up your sight plane better than just a front bead?

2. Can they be installed without removing the factory one?

3. Which is better...TruGlo or Williams?

Thanks!

Steve

dirt road ninja

Quote from: STP22 on March 12, 2015, 10:02:14 PM
Hello, all!

Well, I have a Beretta A400 Xtreme....with just a front fiber optic sight.

1. What are the benefits of a TruGlo or Williams? Helps with lining up your sight plane better than just a front bead?

Lots of shotguns don't shoot true to the bead. The more you play with them the less you will trust them. The sights will allow you to bring your point of aim (poa) in line with your point of impact (poi). Plus it will force you to put your head down when excited.

2. Can they be installed without removing the factory one?

Yep, I leave my factory bead on.

3. Which is better...TruGlo or Williams?

I own the Truglo's (3 sets) and have not had a problem, that being said, my next set will be the Williams. They appear to be of higher quality.

Thanks!

Steve

STP22

Thank you very much, dirt road ninja!

Steve

Bigspurs68

I called in a bird for a guy years ago. He was formerly special forces. I assumed that he would handle the shot calmly. I was terribly wrong. He shot 6' over that bird. Never had his face close to the stock. It was hilarious after he got over it.
  As stated above, get some sights on there to ensure that your head is down. Make sure they are metal and make sure they are easy to see. Paint a dot of fingernail polish on the moving parts of the back right to be able to tell at a glance if they have moved.
Momma said "Kill that turkey"

dirt road ninja

STP22

Thanks, Bigspur68!
Are they hard to install? I have a Beretta A400 Xtreme. I think Williams would be a better choice as the quality is better. A particular model?
Steve

Tom Foolery

I have the Williams Sluggers on my turkey guns and I really like them.  They are easy to install, 4 screws front and 4 screws rear.  The sight bases have grooves cut into them for various rib widths and then the feet attach under the rib. 

Be easy when tightening the screws, I use German torque specs of Good'n tight. 

The small screws will not take Farmer Tight before they snap. 

If you was to need extras, Black Oxide Alloy Steel Socket Head Cap Screw, Hex Socket Drive, #1-64, 1/4" Length...........ask me how I know.......

10gaugemag

Looking for a good set of fiber rifle sights for my Gold. The Truglo Pro-Series Magnum Gobble Dot interest me and am looking into the Williams sights as well. I have a set of Allen sights for a Remington that are made of spring steel and are very simple and durable, just clip them to the rib and mark rear sight where it clamps on the rib.

Bigspurs68

The Williams slugger and the try too mag gobble dot sights are easy to install and pretty solid. As Tom Foolery said, don't overtighten things. Locktite em and snug em up. Only problem if seen is the fiber optic breaking in the front sight after a couple years but, that's on a gun that is in the turkey woods 40+ days a year.
Momma said "Kill that turkey"

howl

The main benefit is that when you miss a turkey you might be able to blame the sights. If you stick with the bead, you have no excuse.

jasperjet

a400 extrema receiver is base ready from the factory. Beretta sells the picatinny mount that goes off and on very quickly. Get a red dot or scope or shoot it straight.

STP22

Wolfey

I'm using a Williams with a ghost ring and love it.