North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Looking for a quality Turkey Scope for my new SX-3 20 gauge

Started by MBC, March 08, 2015, 06:59:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MBC

It looks like my choices are:
1. Nikon Turkey Pro. Expensive and hard to find.
2. Leupold VX-1 Turkey Plex. Expensive, doesn't come in camo.
3. Bushnell Trophy XLT Circle-X 1.75x4x 32mm. A very interesting option at $109 shipped from Amazon right now.
What would you do?

SKFOOTER

MBC

I am considering FFIII, but a scope is kind of my first thought now.

kyhareraiser

Bushnell Trophey XKT in camo is what I put on my gun this year, snows been so bad I've still yet to slang lead

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VAarrowslinger

I'd go with either the Nikon or Leupold shotgun scope with a heavy duplex reticle. I have a leupold NWTF edition Leupold with turkey reticle and I find that im more accurate with a crosshair instead.

K9Doc

Nikon BTR is no longer available.  I know some guys like the el' cheapo crap made by Bushnell and Simmons, but i wouldnt put that on anything except a BB gun!!!
Leupold ok but many have a difficult power ring adjustment.

CHECK EBAY NOW!!!!!

There is a Pentax Lightseeker up for sale. 
2.5 x 20mm  Deep woods plex  Great turkey scope!!!  Parallax free at 75 yards
Allows for range estimation at 40 yards on turkeys!!1
I had one years ago and sold it.  Stupid.....
Be the type of person your dog thinks you are.

MBC

Thanks, there's actually 5 Pentax lightseekers on ebay right now, 2 in camo, 1 new for $190 starting bid, one $145 or offer, looks a little beat up and has been on several guns. How would the lightseeker compare to a Nikon Turkey pro? Which one is better?

MBC

In the back of my mind I'm hoping these turkey scopes will be able to double as a slug scope on this gun, if needed.
Do you guys have ring suggestions? Good quality camo ones that will work for the SX3's cantilever weaver mount.

K9Doc

Neither scope is in production currently.
Nikon variable power 1.65-5x
Pentax is Fixed 2.5X.
Both will work great for Slug Guns too
Both have good eye relief and paralax
Adjusted for shotgun ranges.
Both allow you to range a bird for 40 yards
Shots.
Both Multicoated lenses and excellent
In Low light 
Be the type of person your dog thinks you are.

MBC

Thanks K9Doc. I'll be getting one of these two scopes. Did you have any camo ring suggestions for the cantilever mount? So many choices in rings.

Gallopavo Accipiter

Natchez Shooters Supply has Nikon Turkey Pro scopes.  They are factory reconditioned. I bought the matte finished one for about $150.  I have it lined up and I'll find out how well it works on the real thing next Saturday morning.

dms2511

I have purchased the Nikon Turkey Pro BTR reconditioned from Natchez and had it dipped in Camo by Tarjac. 2 seasons and several 3 1/2" rounds without issue. Highly recomended!

MBC

I got Monarch Shotgun Scope 1.5-4.5X20 Turkey Pro Real Tree Hardwoods with the Nikon Turkey Pro rings, $225 total. Thought I got a pretty good deal. I guess this is the older version of the Turkey pro scope. Can't wait to throw it on my new SX3!